S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Playing Guitar

Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Playing Guitar

I love music but can't sing (as proven at previous Vintage gatherings) and can't play any instruments. I have a piano at home but am not interested in it.

I do like to listen to the guitar and was wondering how difficult is it to learn to play.

Oh, I also can't read music (learned in High School but forgot it all).

What is the best way to proceed with this if I want to pursue it? Do I first learn to read music or do I find a teacher? How long do I give it before I should consider it a lost cause?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Since she teaches piano, I'd bet our Granny can give you some ideas, as to how to get started. Where is she lately?

And you can sing........a little........UH HUH and DOWNTOWN
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always wanted to learn how to do this too Jim. But I don't think I have the patience to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" for 2 years. I want to play like Hendrix day 1.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Jan 18 2007, 09:26 AM
I do like to listen to the guitar and was wondering how difficult is it to learn to play.

Oh, I also can't read music (learned in High School but forgot it all).

What is the best way to proceed with this if I want to pursue it? Do I first learn to read music or do I find a teacher? How long do I give it before I should consider it a lost cause?
As with most things it depends on your aptitude and how hard you're willing to work at it. Dexterity is also required.

Most music for the guitar has a chord chart and/or tablature in addition to the charted music. You don't have to be able to read music but it wouldn't hurt.

Maybe frank b will weigh in on this but I would say if you're willing to practice hard enough you should be able to play passably in 6 months to a year.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. .
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Jan 18 2007, 10:36 AM
I always wanted to learn how to do this too Jim. But I don't think I have the patience to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" for 2 years. I want to play like Hendrix day 1.
May I be be so BOLD as to suggest that if you got as high as he was, you would probably sound that good "to yourself".

I tried to teach my self to play guitar as a teen ager to no avail. One of the frustrations is that I am left handed.

I had two shining moments with guitars.

The first was on New Year's Eve of 1968. I was at a friend's house for a party and everyone was pretty f**ked up. I picked up my friend's guitar and for several days after. Everyone was saying: I didn't know you knew how to play the guitar!

The second time was when I was stationed at Fort Dix, NJ. I was Cadre with a training company that trained 05B's (anyone out there know what MOS that is?) One of the people that was passing through was from Pittsburgh and was the brother of the drummer from the "one hit wonder group" The Jaggers that recorded the tune "The Rapper" ( a hit in 1970). One night while I was pulling Charge of Quarters (CQ) duty, he and a few others that had talent assembled and he tuned his guitar to the key of (either F or G, I have forgotten). Which ever it is that allows one to play chords by covering all the strings on one fret. The end result was I got to play rythem guitar that night. It was way COOL.

I have this nagging thought in the back of my mind (especially after listening to Diana Krall music) that I would love to learn to play the piano. But, I thing that I would have a hard time with my left hand. I think that I will have to stick to playing my Ludwig Jazz set of drums. Which I have played for my own enjoyment over the years. I need to set them back up, as I have not played them in quite a while.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Maybe I should stick to Ballroom Dancing
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Jan 19 2007, 09:24 AM
Maybe I should stick to Ballroom Dancing
Jim,

Speaking of Ballroom Dancing. The next time that I see you remind me to have you kick me in the butt. Then, tell you the story why?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Jan 19 2007, 06:02 PM
Jim,

Speaking of Ballroom Dancing. The next time that I see you remind me to have you kick me in the butt. Then, tell you the story why?
Ok, it would be my pleasure.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Jan 19 2007, 06:07 PM
Ok, it would be my pleasure.

Why does that NOT surprise me?

Quick Reply: Playing Guitar