S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Prevolution... no not a car

Old 09-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Sep 30 2005, 08:43 PM
I think that this is an interesting thread because it covers the on-going evolution of the human species as well as the evolution of mutated genes that evolve over time.

With that stated: I do NOT understand the debate by some over teaching creationism versus evolution in our school systems? If medical science shows that viruses and genes are continually evolving what is the debate about? =Religion.
Basically, it is an attempt to get religion in some form into the classroom. Creationism or Intelligent Design are not Science in any way shape or form. They don't meet the standards of Science, they aren't observable, testable, or falsifiable, and they don't follow any scientific protocols. Creationist/ID'ers have also taken up the disingenuous strategy of attempting to give the impression that there is some major controversy within the scientific community concerning the validity of evolutionary biology. As an insider, I can tell you that no such controversy exists. While scientific protocol demands that Evolution be categorized as a theory (the term 'theory' means something completely different within scientific protocol than it does in common usage), evolution is a fact in the ordinary sense of the word and is overwhelmingly supported by evidence.

For more info on the subject try the National Center for Science Education NCSE or talkorigins
Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last thing we need in the US is yet more dumbing down of kids in school.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Oct 1 2005, 01:56 PM

The last thing we need in the US is yet more dumbing down of kids in school.
Hoo u colin dum?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by dean,Sep 30 2005, 04:41 PM
Not necessarily. I think it's a given that our technology outpaces our level of maturity and wisdom by a long shot. All too often we humans do things simply because we can without any regard for the consequences.
I don't think I said what I meant.

I meant that the present impetus towards change is by accident, not design. I don't think too many people are looking at long term consequences, they are just grabbing whatever technology comes along on a day to day basis.

I would say more "self inflicted" as opposed to "self engineered"
Old 10-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Sep 30 2005, 10:09 AM
^^ Whew, lucky me. I only had one and had to get it taken out. I understand most people get four. I suppose that was a little fancy steppin' on my part, huh???
I've got four of 'em, bone-impacted, completely sideways, squishing all my other teeth together.

I'm considerably devolved, however, as has been proven many times. Just ask my wife.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dean,Oct 1 2005, 03:03 PM
Hoo u colin dum?
Dean, please stop reading the Street Encounters forum

I have one nephew in the US, and when I see what's expected of a ten year-old, I'm just amazed. This kid can't write in anything other than an undulating, illiterate scrawl, can barely add two numbers together, but is supposedly half way between the minimum and maximum standard required by the 'no child left behind' regulations.

He's really good at video games, but apart from that, he has the attention span of a gnat.

I can't wait to see what he does when he grows up. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

I don't know what the hell this has to do with the topic on hand, but there it is.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:02 AM

I would say more "self inflicted" as opposed to "self engineered"
Considering all the ads for plastic surgeons I see around here, I would have to agree.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Thanks Dean for sharing the knowledge. The bookstore has been visited and I've stashed it in the sailboat reading pile for one of those starry nights at sea.

How about nanogenetics? lLttle tiny micromachines on a mission to rebuild us? A tweak here a twtch there a few generations and we're something else? It's interesting to suppose that we are or could be masters of our own genetic destiny much less our cosmic one.

Ever read the witches of karres? I'm a James Schmitz fan too.

fltsfshr

Old 10-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Oct 2 2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks Dean for sharing the knowledge. The bookstore has been visited and I've stashed it in the sailboat reading pile for one of those starry nights at sea.

How about nanogenetics? lLttle tiny micromachines on a mission to rebuild us? A tweak here a twtch there a few generations and we're something else? It's interesting to suppose that we are or could be masters of our own genetic destiny much less our cosmic one.

Ever read the witches of karres? I'm a James Schmitz fan too.

fltsfshr
No problem, I probably enjoy our discussions more than you do.

I think we're a ways from nanogenetics, but I think it's quite probable that we'll be able to do it at some point.

I don't get to read much SciFi these days. I'm too busy reading non fiction to keep up with advances in my own field. Is the Witches of Karres a good airplane read? I have to fly to Buenos Aires in November.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

You'll finish before you land, light reading, fun stuff, well written.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Prevolution... no not a car