S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: are you privileged ?
yes, and proud of it
14.29%
yes, but sort of embarrassed by it
14.29%
maybe...i'm not sure
28.57%
no, i don't qualify for that group
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

privileged

Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I posted this topic and POLL in the wee hours of this morning....somewhat b/c I was lying awake thinking about it....because of the other thread (now closed) that entertained some of you.

Seeing all of the responses, I think our individual feeling may depend on our environment of work/residence. If we work/live in a rural area, we might feel privileged if we earn 100k/year. If we work/live in an expensive upscale area (which I do), we might NOT feel privileged on that same 100k/year. Or is it really our upbringing that determines "privilege" ? (e.g., Downton Abbey)

My son (about to turn 30 in 20 minutes) asked me today, "Is our family rich?" He works for the regional office of a union with many who are pretty unskilled. One of the union organizers with whom he is friendly commented on his trip to Israel last fall and told him "Your family must be rich." He told this friend that he just saves his money and spends it differently than some of the union guys. I think this was the correct answer, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyhow, I told him that we are very comfortable, but I didn't think that we are rich; of course, we live in an area surrounded by $2mm and $3mm homes. THOSE people are the rich ones
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I'm definitely privileged and appreciate it, as Grant said.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I was interested in knowing whether those who feel privileged are proud of it or embarrassed by it.

Maybe "appreciating it" is half way between the other choices

It was my feeling that the difference in the answers could lead to some other interesting conclusions. Thanks for all the replies thus far....maybe I'll sleep better tonight
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
It was my feeling that the difference in the answers could lead to some other interesting conclusions.
Oh no! You aren't going to try to draw conclusions based on statistics, are you? Everybody, RUN!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I am privileged in that God gave me a good head on my shoulders to make sound decisions to the aid and benefit of my family. We came from a 10x55 Kozy Coach Trailer to relative comfort now.

The sound mind has made things come much easier and has lead to "privileges" that others with less ambition or less given to them by their creator are sometimes envious of.

I am thankful every day for what I have mentally and how I've applied it... I just wish I'd also been dealt the skinny gene into adulthood...
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 1,427 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I voted no, not privileged
In many ways I see my self as fortunate, but there are some fundamental differences between privileged and fortunate that make a big difference between the two

Originally Posted by vader1
I voted "no" but that was my take based on the definition. But the definition and the examples underneath seem a bit contradictory to me.

The wife and I do pretty well and have no children so we get to splurge now and again, but if we moved to the wealthy community in one of the examples would it be because we are of a "privileged class" or "not subject to the usual rules and penalties" or because we worked hard and earned it?

I would not want to belong to a "privileged club" if it were exclusionary, but if it means only a small percentage of people can get in because only they can afford it, it does not bother me, nor does it make me feel they are somehow "above the rules" because they play 18 holes at Augusta. If they do no time for 20 kilos of coke in their trunk, THAT would seem to me to fit the definition.

I think I agree with Triple-H. I do feel "fortunate" but any of the meager "status" or "privilege" I have comes through achievement, work, and study, and the same status or privilege is open for the taking of pretty much everyone if they follow the same path.

I just reject the notion that if you come from lets say, a middle class or upper middle class family and you end up in a decent job means you were born with a silver spoon and nothing happened in between. If that is the definition, then the guy from the upper class who becomes a doctor is "privileged" but the guy from "the hood" who becomes a doctor is not, even though they live right next door to each other.

There seems to be a hidden connotation to "privilege" that implies something came easy or was handed to you. This can sometimes be the case, but the connotation or the word itself are too easily mis-applied.

Originally Posted by trapper
I also voted NO: Not privileged.

I agree with TRIPLE-H

Fortunate: Yes. A little lucky now and then: Yes .....but never privileged.

Originally Posted by paS2K
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I was interested in knowing whether those who feel privileged are proud of it or embarrassed by it.

Maybe "appreciating it" is half way between the other choices

It was my feeling that the difference in the answers could lead to some other interesting conclusions. Thanks for all the replies thus far....maybe I'll sleep better tonight
with Triple-H, vader1,and trapper. I feel very fortunate that I learned the value of hard work and sacrifice being raised on a working farm, being blessed with having the right parents who passed on their genes to me allowing me to have it easy in school, and, as Jerry said, appreciate all these things. I was also fortunate enough to learn to fly (something I dreamed about since I was 6), safely serve my country in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot, have 3 wonderful kids and 4 super grand-kids, and have a successful career in industry being able to comfortably retire. I am also fortunate that I have been able to travel (though not as extensively as some), and see a lot of the world that others will never see. As for privilege, I am privileged to have met some wonderful people here, at work, and in my real life. These folks show the real meaning of what should be considered as being privileged. We are all privileged to live in the greatest county in the world, and should never forget that. (Thanks, fltsfshr)

So, Jerry, to answer your poll, I truly appreciate all the positive things that have happened to me, but I feel very fortunate to have lived the life I have, and privileged to have met and establish relationships with the people in my life.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks for taking the TIME to put together a great reply Gene
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dean
Originally Posted by paS2K' timestamp='1361267267' post='22347012
HERE is the definition.
(Pedant alert) That is a rather limited definition of the term "privileged". (I hate Merriam-Webster.) "Privileged" also means to have advantages that many others do not have. In that sense, as a citizen of a First World nation by accident of birth, I am most definitely privileged. I have advantages that the majority of the world's population does not have. And to use a computer to access the Internet in order to suggest otherwise would be rather silly - to say the least - and totally lacking in any sense of self awareness. (/pedant alert)
I wonder if there are others who thought of this POLL in the same terms that Dean outlines above?

This was certainly part of the reason that I am one of the 2 current votes for "Privileged/ Embarrassed". Seems that a lot of viewers have not yet VOTED in the poll.

I am surprised that so many have voted for "Not Privileged"...since just having or having HAD a sports car like an S2000 indicates a certain degree of privilege to me (e.g., "having advantages that many others do not have."
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I have thought about this for the last day and there is one category you left out. Privileged and thankful.

Both of us come from very average homes (don't ask for an explanation of average) and we are both so grateful to God for the life He has given us. As many of you have said, privilege depends on ones comparison. I have had friends is the Downton Abby sphere and I still consider myself to be privileged, and thankful.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I'm not sure if I'm privileged, but I am and always have been very, very lucky. That and I work hard.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Catherine, I like and endorse your amendment to include "Privileged and Thankful" as an option. I'm also glad that the question has made you THINK about it for a day or so. That's a compliment to any topic here.

Perhaps the REAL difference is whether one feels Privileged vs. Not Privileged.

Actually, the modifiers (Proud, Embarrassed, Thankful, Lucky and others yet to be stated) might apply to either condition.

Quick Reply: privileged