S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Proactive or Reactive Job Change

Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI, it's done, guys. I had a sad day, informing my management and talking a lot about reasons, etc... I'm jazzed, though. The new opportunity is pretty great!

So that's it. Wish me luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Good luck Charlie!

First thing on the agenda at the new job, put in for time off for Fall Colors!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Mar 18 2005, 08:09 PM
FYI, it's done, guys. I had a sad day, informing my management and talking a lot about reasons, etc... I'm jazzed, though. The new opportunity is pretty great!

So that's it. Wish me luck.
Good for you.

Now, only look forward, don't look back.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 PM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Glad you made your decision and it's done, Chaz.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, Chaz...it was a big decision to make and you'll probably have some moments of doubt over the first few weeks about whether you did the right thing.... but don't forget about us....we're here to smack that right outta you!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, Ruth. I'm thrilled about all this. I hope it all pans out in the long run. My VP was concerned (for me) about the company's financials. I really need to get on top of that to whatever level I can.

I'm giving my company another 4 weeks before leaving. This gives them time to backfill and make whatever shifts are necessary.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Good strategy. Also should allow you to leave on good terms and potentially come back if the need ever arises.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 AM

Perhaps of interest to some...

HOW TO FIND A JOB IN A JOBLESS RECOVERY
Old 04-13-2005, 05:49 AM

I just saw this thread and thought that I might have something to contribute, and also something to learn. I took an early retirement from the aviation parts distribution industry back in '95. When the tech sector died in 2000, a lot of our $ went with it, so my wife and I had to look for work in a pretty small (population-wise) area. Once that happened (and it took the better part of 2 years to finally settle) come to find out our daughter was getting a divorce and needed us to help with her two kids, so off to OK we go. Now I'm looking for FT work and I'm amazed, I suppose, by the lack of response from employers who, let's face it, are looking for help because they've placed ads in the paper. I'm at the point in my life now where I want a job that I (at least) don't hate so when I get up in the morning I have a positive attitude about going in to work. With that being said (almost done) I feel that some (most?) of the places I've contacted would be a good fit for me, but I'm just not getting the response. When I was working full time I _always_ got back to my customers! I so much appreciate people/companies when they tell you they'll "get back" to you and actually do! Am I missing something here, or ?
Finally, my advice would be to stay at whatever job you happen to have at the time, but to look for other opportunities. If found, those opportunities should be weighed carefully, as you're leaving a known quantity and going to one that's largely unknown. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. And, I think being happy/enjoying what you do is the biggest thing, especially as one gets older (hopefully wiser) as well. The more you like something, chances are the more you'll enjoy doing it and the better you'll be at it.
Just my .02
Tom
near Tulsa, OK
Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 AM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

^ You aren't missing anything, Tom. The biggest complaint nowadays is that prospective employers do not respond to applicants, even those who have been interviewed for a job. Part of it is that they are overwhelmed with applications and just don't have time, which I can understand to some extent. But if you interview, you deserve a response one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Proactive or Reactive Job Change