S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Quality. Is it the company or the location?

Old 10-01-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
Old 10-01-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
Old 10-01-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following the discussion here, there seem to be maybe three variables that can change and alter the quality of the car.

1. Design and Engineering-- just how good a car can/will be conceived?

2. Factory and Production-- how good are the workers and machinery when the cars roll off the line?

3. Standards and Specs-- how close/tight are these set? What if the company becomes complacent and views the consumer as a captive audience? Design slacks off, factory work gets sloppy, and down goes the reputation. If hdq. dictates standards, factories everywhere should be the same, but maybe they're not. Does anyone know if BMWs made in the USA are as good as those made in Bavaria? According to Consumers" Reports, all German quality control has slipped. Have the Germans become complacent? Isn't that what happened with Detroit? Are the Japanese the only ones who care anymore? Is it going to rain tomorrow? Will this post ever end?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:58 AM

Two words come to mind. Planned obsolescence.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I agree with almost everything being said, even tho some of it appears to be very different views. The only constant is change. Made in Japan at one time stood for junk, then there was Demming, and one can only marvel at how Toyota has produced so many quality cars for so long - it's little wonder they are in 3rd place in sales. Mercedes Benz once owned the king of the hill status in quality. No more. In fact, their strategy to down market and increase production has shown just how poorly a Benz can be built. The big three lost their focus and took the customer for granted (my dad always drove Fords and so do I, etc.). Well, that line of thinking has past, except for maybe in the truck arena, but that's falling off as well as Japan makes in roads in TN and TX.

It's clear many of us have a high comfort level with Japanese products, myself included. All my personal cars since the early 70s have been Japanese - Toyota, Honda, Acura - and currently we have a Honda, Nissan, and Subaru sitting in the garage. The only American car's I'd consider would be based on the fun factor, not the quality factor. I'm thinking Viper, latest Vette, Ford GT-40. Otherwise, forget it. Yep, I'm in a rut.

So, is it company or location? Easy. It's company. My first Toyota was a 72 Toyota Corona MkII from Japan. It was the first Japanese car produced with the US market in mind. It was a great car. My first Honda was an '83 from Marysville, OH. It was the first Japanese car produced in the US. It was great. Do I think that these company's can never produce a bad car? Of course not. There's no perfect car or company. But I'm really impressed how the Japanese companies continue to move the quality bar up. Success breeds success.

The next big bang for the buck appears to be Korean cars. And, before long China will be next. Yes, things will change but the only companies that will last the long haul will be those that focus on quality, as the location doesn't matter except in a patriotic sense.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Name the company that said: "At ______, the quality goes in before the name goes on."
Old 10-06-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Name the company that said:
Old 10-06-2003, 01:22 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Old 10-06-2003, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 10-06-2003, 05:13 PM

I think it's either Zenith or Buick, neither of which I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Quality. Is it the company or the location?