S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Quality part II

Old 02-03-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Product quality is what makes certain brands and promotes their longevity. In the clothing industry fashion changes with the wind several times a year, quality isn't always what people are looking for.

On the other hand certain brands have a reputation for quality. This often disappears when they begin to mass merchandise in Walmart or other major chains.

In the kids fashion industry, quality still counts. Especially if your product will last through several children. It seems to still count ito a degree the mens industry. I find the best quality in specialty aparrel like surfwear.

The womens fashion industry doesn't seem to work that way. I'm completely amazed when I walk through Saks women's departments and compare price to quality of fabric or manufacture. There are well made products out there but price doesn't necessarily denote how well it's made.

Price isn't everything that denotes value. Product alone doesn't denote value. Product and service denote value.

fltsfshr
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember being a kid and having my mom buy me "quality" Sears Toughskin jeans, because the knees had patches on them and they were guaranteed not to wear through. Boy did I look like a DORK at school!

My view of quality was based on a different set of parameters...
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM

To tomcatt or anyone with foot problems -

I would suggest you buy a pair of New Balance series 1000 walking shoes and a pair of Sole Orthotics. You heat the sole orthotics in the microwafe and they form to your feet. If that doesn't work I think you have atleast given it your best shot.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt' date='Feb 2 2005, 12:19 PM
OT - Speaking of shoes...

What's a good walking shoe? I've always worn sneakers, but lately it seems that every tennis/running/sneaker type of shoe has way too much padding around the foot, and up over and behind the ankles. It's almost as if these things are designed more for style than anything else.

My feet wind up feeling way too constricted (and yes I have them properly fitted when I buy them, even trying going up a size larger) as if the shoe is compressing them, and I wind up with a lot of aches in the ankles and soles, not to mention the toes. Add to that the fact that I occasionally have attacks of gout in my left big toe, and the task of finding a wearable shoe has become somewhat frustrating.

I'd love to once and for all find a non-work shoe that I can wear all day, walk in for miles, and not have any foot pain. I don't need a hiking boot type of shoe, although that might be an option if the fit is better than what's available in a sneaker type of shoe.

I did find a great shoe for driving the S. It's a Nike soccer shoe, with minimal padding and it allows great range of movement without constricting the feet and ankles. It's not something I'd want to spend a lot of time walking in though.
Did you try the New Balance line? Not too expensive, and many foot doctors recommend them (or have in the past). I wear the 608 series. It's a cross trainer, plenty of room in the toe box. I had a heel problem in the past if walking any distance/length of time, and don't have the problem with this sneaker.

I find them a bit clunky, but they are comfortable. Rick prefers the New Balance running sneakers and wears them to work, and he is on his feet most of the day.

If you have a sporting goods store with a clerk that does plenty of running, they may be able to help you.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr' date='Feb 3 2005, 06:10 PM
Product quality is what makes certain brands and promotes their longevity. In the clothing industry fashion changes with the wind several times a year, quality isn't always what people are looking for.

On the other hand certain brands have a reputation for quality. This often disappears when they begin to mass merchandise in Walmart or other major chains.

In the kids fashion industry, quality still counts. Especially if your product will last through several children. It seems to still count ito a degree the mens industry. I find the best quality in specialty aparrel like surfwear.

The womens fashion industry doesn't seem to work that way. I'm completely amazed when I walk through Saks women's departments and compare price to quality of fabric or manufacture. There are well made products out there but price doesn't necessarily denote how well it's made.

Price isn't everything that denotes value. Product alone doesn't denote value. Product and service denote value.

fltsfshr
Flts

The woman's wear industry never revolved around quality in the traditional sense. The engine moving women's wear was fashion.

The men's wear industry traditionally had a greater emphasis on tailoring, and quality of construction. That was partly due to the fact that fashion was far less important. That changed a bit in the 60s and 70s when fashion became more important. At the same time quality (as in the construction or tailoring) became less important.

I wasn't aware that quality was even an issue in the children's wear industry except among the well to do. I had always heard that people traditionally shopped price because their kids would only be in the garment for a short time. Again, the exception is kidwear catered to the well to do. I am not all that familiar with the children's wear industry, all of my experience was in the men's wear and a little bit in women's wear. As I remember, Fast Suzy is in childrens wear, and so, I will yield to you.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:09 PM

Jim & Lainey, thanks for the advice. I'm going to see what I can dig up this weekend while I'm out and about.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR' date='Feb 2 2005, 11:09 PM
It must be nice to buy with high quality in mind ALL the time. Good for you.
Well, there are also lots of things that I don't buy at all. We don't have cable; that saves probably $500-$1000 a year. We've got one ten year old television that we use only for watching tapes. I dunno ... what else do people spend money on?

Really, I think the only things that are expensive enough that the average person can't always afford whatever quality he wants are houses and cars. And maybe kids ... I would have a hard time justifying clothes that last for ten years when they are going to be outgrown in a year or two, and some of the top schools are priced out of the range of many families.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 2 2005, 04:02 AM
So, my question becomes this, are you willing to pay more for quality.
Rob, I'm very interested in your answer to this question too.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:25 PM
Well, there are also lots of things that I don't buy at all. We don't have cable; that saves probably $500-$1000 a year. We've got one ten year old television that we use only for watching tapes.

j/k
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 4 2005, 12:34 AM
Rob, I'm very interested in your answer to this question too.
Fair enough. I will almost always pay more for quality. I like quality. That said, the item must have utility, similar to Cordy's value, but not quite the same. A very expensive watch has no utility to me, or at least no more utility than my $25 Timex. I wear a watch to tell time, and my Timex does that as well as any. That is the quality that I want, I don't care about the perceved quality (or the status and snob appeal that we mistake for quality) that comes with spending more money.

Like all the rest of you, I too sometimes fall into the trap, and think that I can skimp on quality in order to save a few dollars. Interestingly, everytime I do that I learn a lesson. In the long run, buying quality may turn out cheaper. Every time I've bet against quality, I've lost.

So yes, I will always buy the best quality that I can afford, that offers me the utility that I want.

Quick Reply: Quality part II