S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Rain Again, Again

Old 11-03-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Rain Again, Again

Today is Saturday and it’s raining. Tomorrow is Sunday and an all-day rain is predicted. It rained last weekend and the weekend before. It’ll probably rain next weekend too. This is the rainiest end of summer into fall I remember in a very long time.

I always have such good plans for the weekend. I want to take my S for a long top-down drive. But it’s rained so often in the last few months that I’ve only been able to put 6 miles on the car in September and 9 miles in October. I want to work on my TD, but I don’t dare open the hood in the rain. It sits on the driveway under a car cover waiting for a sunny day. My wrenches are ready and I’ve read the workshop manual back and forth, but the weather won’t cooperate and so it sits. I want to put a coat of wax on my Si for the winter. The Si has become my trusted companion and daily driver. But you can’t wax a car in the rain, so another weekend goes by and the Si remains unwaxed.

Not too many years ago there was a severe water problem in New Jersey. We didn’t get enough rain, and with all of the development that was going on, and all of the increased water usage, the underground water tables were getting dangerously low and the reservoirs were well below capacity. Emergency measures were put into place. People couldn’t wash their cars and lawn watering was only allowed every other day depending on your address. People were even joking about bathing only once a week. Fortunately, it never came down to that, but the water restrictions were put into place and enforced. Remarkably, the alternate day watering rules are still in place. You can wash your car, and you can bath every day thankfully.

Now the opposite is happening. It’s rained so much that the ground is soggy. Everyone’s lawn is brown and patchy. Not from a lack of water, but rather from too much water and not enough sunlight. The ground is so wet and soggy that it can’t hold trees, and trees have been toppling over. Our reservoirs are full, and I don’t hear anything anymore about the water tables. For the first time in a very long time some of our neighbors are complaining about water in their basements and areas that don’t normally flood are flooded. Last night we had a rainstorm the likes of which I haven’t seen in a long time. A lot of leaves are down and tree branches have broken off. Luckily, we didn’t have a power outage but I expected it to happen.

For me, all I want is a few sunny weekends. Rain-free so I can do some of the things I planned, and maybe get my S out of the garage for that long, top-down drive.

Last edited by ralper; 11-03-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Sunny but windy in De.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Nothing but rain here. (We were in drought conditions this summer) We have a party at our house tonight. Parking will be on the saturated lawn. Worried that I'll have to repair ruts. I was hoping to get the motorcycle or the S2000 out one more time, but that looks unlikely. Fortunately, the S2000 is parked in the storage garage, but I'll have to wait for the lawn to dry up to get the motorcycle back there. Need a dry warm day to wash, wax and swap snow tires on my wife's car.

I'm feeling winter depression setting in already.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

Going through the same thing here Rob. I've been wanting to wax and or drive my S for the last few weekends and we have had rain every Sat/Sun and last Saturday we actually had rain then sleet then ice then snow. The only upside is that all the rain we had this week washed away all the salt they dumped on the roads near me the last two weekends. Yesterday when I got home from work it was in the 50's so I washed the 2 cars and took the S out for a quick blast. They say the rain today may turn to a little bit of snow tonight but I'm hoping the salt trucks don't go out.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Same here. We had some beautiful fall color on some trees, but this weekend's rain and wind will take care of that. It's miserable. It's gloomy and I need some sunshine too!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

got buckets n buckets last night.
Hard enough to wake me up.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 2,993 Likes on 1,664 Posts

That's some depressing weather, Rob.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Hate to say it but we have been having wonderful, above average temperature weather. In the 80s every day. Only one real rain since May. We need a pipe from New Jersey to California, we could use your excess water.
I will celebrate our nice weather and take the SL for my first top down drive. I will think of all you Vintagers back there looking out the window at the rain.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lots of rain here yesterday....again And a LOT of wind....again....up to 50+ mph gusts.
Many very large and old oak trees [still with leaves] and very large old pines in our yard and neighborhood.
Doen't look like we [or anyone else] lost anything but a few small branches.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We are not getting heavy rain but enough light rain every day to screw up outside plans. And, its been like that for the past few weeks.

Quick Reply: Rain Again, Again