S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Have you had a colonoscopy?
Yes
72.34%
No
14.89%
Should but have not
12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Rear end roto rotor a/k/a Colonoscopy

Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty,Jun 19 2008, 10:44 PM

Lainey is right......the prep is much worse than the test itself.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I had a sigmoidoscopy a few years ago, but have not had a colonoscopy. Going to "go for it" (HAHA) later this year.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether it's the pre-Fleet prep or the Muvi-Prep, it's a lot easier to drink if you mix it up and put it in the freezer for a while -- the colder it is the less you'll taste it. This is the Voice of Experience speaking. That is all. HPH

PS: This does not imply you should drink the Fleet itself, although people probably have. Ewww.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I'm due this year and this is a good reminder to get off my butt and get it done. (pun intended )

Old 06-20-2008, 05:10 AM

I agree the prep is bad, I did just hear however that you can now take some pills and drink any clear liquid you want. Twice I had to drink a gallon of the flavored prep and that was the worst part. The procedure on the other hand I kinda enjoyed
Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpy Guy,Jun 20 2008, 09:10 AM
The procedure on the other hand I kinda enjoyed
Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 AM

Yeah, the prep was bad. I like the shuttle analogy Dave used.

My doc said I would remember nothing, total amnesia of the procedure. He lied. I told the gastro and the anethetist I wanted to be out cold. Uh, huh. I felt it all. Now, I'm sure I never want a role in Brokeback Mountain, the Sequel.

At one point, I opened my eyes and saw the monitor and got some deep personal insights. I could have lived my entire life without those insights.

Well, there was no major problems and I went to the gastro in follow up.
He walks into the room and looks at me like he'd never seen me before, looks at the chart and says, "Oh, you're that guy. I'm not good with faces." (I'm sure he was thinking, "But I never forget an a--hole.") I told him of my experience and he asked if I had been ready to turn around and tear out his throat. Since I hadn't been, he thought it was okay.

He initially thought I had Chrone's disease and wanted to schedule a pill-cam test wherein I would swallow a pillsized camera, be hooked up to receivers all along my torso and wait as the camera went along its merry way taking pictures every few seconds. He said he spends his Sunday afternoons reviewing these videos. (It's called a life, Doc. Get one!) Anyway, the presp for this test would have been the same as the colonoscopy plus shaving 3 inch circles at various areas from my neck to my hips, basically a full body shave. Fortunately, my insurance apparently wasn't keen on laying out $1400 for the test, especially since I have no outward symptoms of Chrone's.

Despite all that, I'm glad I got it taken care of.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Al, they should have given you more drugs. I do remember waking up once during the test and saying something. I don't remember any pain, but I'm sure I felt something that brought me to. I remember waking, and the doc saying "give her more", after that I remember nothing. You are not unconscious for this test. You will feel discomfort, and react to it, but generally, you should not remember it.

Within the cocktail of drugs they generally give Versed, which has amnesiac properties...tell them to top off your tank with more Versed the next time.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Having had a couple sigmoidoscopy's and a couple colonoscopy's done, I can appreciate everyone's comments that the prep is really the $hity part.

I certainly don't remember anything from the colonoscopy's except the nurse saying I had a nice butt.

What I do remember from the first is waking up and being told they were not able to complete it due to some blockage! So I had to go to the hospital and drink some kind of 'glow in the dark' crap and stand on my head while they did x-rays. Everything was fine. The next time I had it done, 4 ro 5 years later, it all went normal. My doctor said that your instestines move around and that's why they had no problems that time.

PS, also had some polyps removed the last time - that too was no big deal and I would not have known it if they had not told me.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 AM

[QUOTE=dlq04,Jun 20 2008, 10:11 AM]

Quick Reply: Rear end roto rotor a/k/a Colonoscopy