S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Recommendations for a high value hotel in London

Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recommendations for a high value hotel in London

Hey all,

I'm travelling to London for Oceanology in March and have decided to take LOML. The youngest is away at college and this would be the first time we have had a trip together in a LONG time.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for "High Value" (relatively inexpensive) places to stay in London. Would prefer on the west side of town within close walking distance to the Tube or the DLR as I'll be travelling out to the Excel Center for the conference.

Spelunking around Trip Advisor reveals a lot of choices, but if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. Ideally, I would like to stay under $200/night for the two of us.

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 772 Posts

We stayed at this hotel in 2005, The Kensington, when it was called Jurys Kensington. It's about 2 blocks from the Tube, and is a great hotel with a nice bar and restaurant, near Harrods and many restaurants and museums. It looks like the prices now are a little over the $200/night limit you mentioned, but I would wholeheartedly recommend it.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Love London, but haven't been there in many years. I believe when we (parents and ex) went, we stayed at the Kensington Gardens Hotel. Going to ask my mother if she remembers. It was a great location!! Seems to get pretty good reviews. Check it out.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
We stayed at this hotel in 2005, The Kensington, when it was called Jurys Kensington. It's about 2 blocks from the Tube, and is a great hotel with a nice bar and restaurant, near Harrods and many restaurants and museums. It looks like the prices now are a little over the $200/night limit you mentioned, but I would wholeheartedly recommend it.
Nice looking place. Perhaps a bit more than I was looking to spend. I will put in on the list as LOML will probably be the one making the decision.

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Love London, but haven't been there in many years. I believe when we (parents and ex) went, we stayed at the Kensington Gardens Hotel. Going to ask my mother if she remembers. It was a great location!! Seems to get pretty good reviews. Check it out.
Thanks. This looks interesting. A bit farther east than I'd like, but that's not a show stopper.

Appreciate the feedback.

Chris
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,396 Posts

I was only in London briefly and stayed at the Sheraton at Heathrow airport.
While it was a wonderful hotel room, It was _*NOT*_ on the list as a high value hotel...... ( thank god it was a reimbursed business expense)
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Sorry, I can't help much. I lived in London near Hampstead Heath several summers in the 70s and 80s. Here is a listing of some of the hotels in the area of Hampstead. I used to run in the Heath. The Tube makes all of London accessible, too.

http://www.booking.com/landmark/gb/h...heath%20london

Ha ha, Earlier, my travel guide was always:
Arthur Frommer's
Europe on Five Dollars a Day.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

When I was in London I can't remember where I stayed…………… or what her name was.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It’s been several years since staying at the Rembrandt and Beaufort hotels in London’s South Kensington district. At the time they were reasonably priced (by London’s standards), had good accommodations, a friendly staffs, close proximity to tube access and the Museum of Natural History. The closer you are to the business district the pricier it gets. London has a very efficient underground that provides quick travel to many points of interest, so staying in an outlying district is not a problem.

Always look to your right when stepping from a curb…and mind “the gap”!

Hope this helps.

gary

Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
When I was in London I can't remember where I stayed…………… or what her name was.
Damn! .. But the pubs would close at 10 pm.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I was only in London briefly and stayed at the Sheraton at Heathrow airport.
While it was a wonderful hotel room, It was _*NOT*_ on the list as a high value hotel...... ( thank god it was a reimbursed business expense)

If I remember correctly, we (the Plant Pixie and me) also stayed there on a business trip about a decade ago. Although it is close to Heathrow it is not what we American's would call a high value hotel in our opinions. Although, I have nothing bad to say about it. It was convenient to the Tube via the Heathrow station and the Plant Pixie bought a day pass that enabled her to be a tourist while I worked about fifteen hours a day (because of the time difference of -5 to minus -10 hours in the states). With that stated: She got to see first hand that my trips to Europe about four times per year were not all "fun and games" for me.

I have two suggestions about London. You really should visit Harrod's (especially the food court). The other is to take your wallet as things are expensive in the UK.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a high value hotel in London