S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   REDUX: Vintage Net Worth (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/redux-vintage-net-worth-1009734/)

paS2K 03-09-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04 (Post 22392353)
Or maybe - who cares. I never feel the measure of a person(s) is their Net Worth.

Dave, no one said anything about net worth being a measure of a person. There are rich people who are pricks (D Trump=IMHO) and rich people who are not (W Buffet=IMHO). Same can be said for people in modest circumstances.

In my experience, people are always (even subliminally) interested in the financial status of their friends and neighbors. Who can't remember one of their first jobs and wondering if the guy/gal sitting at the next desk (usually NOT as sharp as you :scratch: ) was earning more than you ???? :mad:

As noted in the QUOTE from the posting 10 years ago, it's not a bad thing for younger :vintage: to take the pulse of where their finances stand...in light of disappearing pensions, social security collapse. I'll bet some have read this thread POLL and have no idea what their net worth is...and retirement might be only 10 years away. Thus, this could be considered a Public Service POLL :tipwink:

paS2K 03-09-2013 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Looter (Post 22392617)
:surprised: Say what ....!!!!! :feint:

:bow: You work for Duke Energy, Denny, so you don't NEED any net worth.

MsPerky 03-10-2013 03:33 AM

Actually, I have very little interest in the net worth of anyone. I can't remember the last time I thought about it. I don't even think about mine except when I have to. The last time was when I applied for a refi loan a few years ago. :)

valentine 03-10-2013 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky (Post 22393035)
Actually, I have very little interest in the net worth of anyone. I can't remember the last time I thought about it. I don't even think about mine except when I have to. The last time was when I applied for a refi loan a few years ago. :)

I feel the same way. I do not concern myself about what our worth is as long as I'm happy and content. We have enough to do what we want/need to me and that is great as not everyone is in that position. Life is much simpler and our needs are met. I'm quite happy with that. I consider it far more valuable to feel that I am quite wealthy when it comes to feeling I have friends and family who are there for me in times of emotional distress as well as in the happy times. That is far more important to me than financial success.

paS2K 03-10-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky (Post 22393035)

Deb, you are quite lucky to have decided to retire w/o having to consider your net worth. Those w/o pensions (including me and more people than ever before) have to keep track of their investments, which will (hopefully) pay their "room and board" for another 20-30 years.

valentine 03-10-2013 06:48 AM

Jerry, I'm not sure retirement has to be based on net worth. Where it is good to know what one's income is going to be during the retirement years (thanks to pensions or annuities), the value of the remaining assets has little to do with whether you can retire or not. Many are forced into retirement by employers or illness without having the benefit of time to plan out such things. Decisions have to be made pretty much on the spot. Will you downsize your home? Can you even sell your home? Is there enough equity in your home for you afford a smaller home? All these things are part of the retirement scene. Oh, sure I can be worth a few million on paper, but when it comes down to real value, it may be far less. A house, a car, a collection, etc. is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. From where I sit, my house is worth far more to me than it may be to anyone else. I couldn't care less what it is worth since (a) the market fluctuates so wildly it is hard to guess at its worth and (b) it is not in my plan to ever leave it except in an urn.

edit: Selling one's house is not as easy to do as it may have once been. I've seen several houses in Litchfield and Pawleys that are gorgeous with beach views, etc. that have been for sale for THREE YEARS. I'm sure a few folks were planning on cashing in on an investment to increase a retirement portfolio, yet it didn't happen.

MsPerky 03-10-2013 07:05 AM

Well, I did consider my monthly income/outgo before I retired. Once I determined it was doable, I went ahead. But my net worth didn't figure into the decision. I consider that a related but different subject. If I had no or very limited retirement income, net worth would certainly be part of the equation because I would be living on income from my investments.

Zippy 03-10-2013 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 22392691)
I have my wife, I'm the richest man on Earth.

....and my dog.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7226/...485f77f9_z.jpg

:thumbup:

Zippy 03-10-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by valentine (Post 22393168)
Jerry, I'm not sure retirement has to be based on net worth. Where it is good to know what one's income is going to be during the retirement years (thanks to pensions or annuities), the value of the remaining assets has little to do with whether you can retire or not. Many are forced into retirement by employers or illness without having the benefit of time to plan out such things. Decisions have to be made pretty much on the spot. Will you downsize your home? Can you even sell your home? Is there enough equity in your home for you afford a smaller home? All these things are part of the retirement scene. Oh, sure I can be worth a few million on paper, but when it comes down to real value, it may be far less. A house, a car, a collection, etc. is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. From where I sit, my house is worth far more to me than it may be to anyone else. I couldn't care less what it is worth since (a) the market fluctuates so wildly it is hard to guess at its worth and (b) it is not in my plan to ever leave it except in an urn.

edit: Selling one's house is not as easy to do as it may have once been. I've seen several houses in Litchfield and Pawleys that are gorgeous with beach views, etc. that have been for sale for THREE YEARS. I'm sure a few folks were planning on cashing in on an investment to increase a retirement portfolio, yet it didn't happen.

I agree and disagree. According to AARP the income of retired people is just north of $20K. Where I come from that is pretty darn close to poverty. While net worth is not a measure of your retirement capability, it needs to be strongly considered. As it has become QUITE common for corporations and government entities to "move the cheese" and change criteria, amounts and services provided to retiries even after retirement.

My net worth is no one's business (sorry Jerry), but I do agree that one must be SURE of the source of their income when they stop working, and the idea that Corporate or Government pensions will keep us until our last breath is proving to be a misnomer.

Lovetodrive2000 03-10-2013 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy (Post 22392573)
I'm not worth a plugged nickel! :tipwink:

:iagree: