S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Remember the 1955 Chevy?

Old 07-25-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Remember the 1955 Chevy?

From today's New York Times.

50 Candles for a Breakthrough Chevy

By DAVE KINNEY
Published: July 25, 2005

EVERYTHING in Detroit seemed to change for 1955, as if the entire auto industry awoke at once and shook off the last remaining traces of its cautious postwar mind-set.

In a short span, car designs transformed from the complex multiple curves drawn in the 1940's to clean, modern sweeps of sheet metal that reflected a new era of American optimism. With the economy booming, a horsepower war that would last more than a decade began to escalate, and even the cars' electrical systems joined the revolt against the status quo.

This sea change was most apparent at Chevrolet, where a new car riding on a new suspension and powered by a new V-8 engine made its debut. Car buyers concluded that Chevrolet got it right in 1955 - it was Chevy's best year to that point - and a half century later, collectors still laud the '55 models as watershed designs. Sales set a record that was not eclipsed until 1960.

Traditionally, Chevrolet's role within General Motors had been to build low-price vehicles for practical-minded buyers. The approach was conservative, but in the years just after World War II Detroit sold every car it could produce without the need for bold designs or aggressive promotions. A vehicle shortage, created when factories were diverted to the war effort, resulted in pent-up demand that took years to satisfy.

By the early 50's, demand and supply came into balance once again, and automakers returned to selling cars rather than just taking orders for whatever the factory could build. Even after the introduction of new (though not radically different) models for 1953, Chevrolet stayed the course with an emphasis on value and economy. Ford, Chevy's main rival, was catching up in sales, and perhaps just as important, was becoming the car with the popular buzz.

It all changed when Chevy introduced its '55 models. Though the new car was about the same length as its predecessor, it was more than five inches lower. With a wraparound windshield and fenders that fit flush to the body shell, there was no way to confuse it with earlier Chevys.

The grille, an egg crate design strongly inspired by Ferrari, created quite a stir. A potential problem identified by prospective owners was not with its looks, but rather with keeping each of the small openings clean, as massive chrome teeth were the styling norm on American cars of the 1950's.

A 12-volt electrical system replaced the 6-volt circuits commonly used at the time; 12 volts remains the automotive standard to this day. Ford converted to 12-volt systems the next year.

Chevrolet's first modern V-8, with options up to 195 horsepower, arrived in 1955, lending credence to advertising that promoted the car as "The Hot One." The 265-cubic-inch engine, expanded and improved through the years, went on to a long successful career in Chevy cars and trucks.

Full-size 1955 Chevys were available in three series. The One-Fifty was the price leader, typically purchased with rubber floor mats and a three-speed manual transmission. There were 2-door and 4-door sedans as well as a 2-door wagon; salesmen in need of extra room for their wares could buy a One-Fifty utility sedan with no back seat. A 4-door One-Fifty in nice condition can be purchased today for less than $10,000.

The Two-Ten, the next step up Chevrolet's price ladder, added a coupe and a 4-door wagon to the line. Upgrades over the One-Fifty included features like added chrome trim, ashtrays, cigarette lighters and arm rests. Today, prices for the Two-Ten models are generally 10 percent to 25 percent higher than those of the One-Fifty series.

The best-dressed of Chevrolets of 1955 wore the Bel Air nameplate. A wide choice of models included the sporty 2-door Nomad station wagon as well as the Bel Air convertible. Expect to pay from $25,000 to $50,000 for a nice original '55 Nomad. A Bel Air convertible sharp enough for weekend drives will run between $45,000 and $70,000, depending upon colors, options and condition.

The transformation from frumpy to cool that began in 1955 for Chevrolet (and across much of the industry) has proved durable. Teenagers, automotive style leaders and early adopters, all of whom had steered clear of Chevy showrooms that were long on practicality but short on style and performance, struck up a loyalty that for many still holds true 50 years later.

There is a lesson here, one that only takes a few minutes of watching traffic on a busy street to absorb: even with buyers' emphasis on choosing cars that offer the best safety features, gas mileage, reliability and crash-test results, cool still sells cars.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:43 AM

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,640 Posts

The 1955 Chevy and I were born in the same year. Scary to think we are both half century.

I've always liked the '55 '56 and '57 Chevy. Unlike my brother in law who can't identify a Ford from a Chevy, I even can tell them apart.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a '55 and then a '56 Chev in my "formative" years (late 60's). I learned all about cars / engines on those. Easy cars to work on, and parts were cheap and plentiful in the salvage yards. It scares me nowadays to think about the lousy brakes and suspension. Took Chevy a little longer to figure those out.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I barely remember the '55 Chevy.
I do remember, clear as yesterday, the day my dad sold his '53 Chevy Bel-Air 4 door sedan. It was yellow and white with gobs of chrome. I think the year was 1956, which would make be about 9 (I'm MY47), and he got seven crisp $50 bills for it.

It looked somewhat like this one:

I wonder what $350 in 1956 dollars would be worth today?

Barry in Wyoming
Old 08-23-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 3,841 Likes on 3,047 Posts

AHHHH the old "shoebox" I always preferred the 55 over the 57. I liked the black one Harrison Ford drove in American Graffiti.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Jul 26 2005, 06:43 AM
.....Unlike my brother in law who can't identify a Ford from a Chevy, I even can tell them apart.
Lainey- That would be a good 'guessing game' for LG 05.....see who can ID 50's and 60's cars on unmarked pics

Btw, you didn't mention your sister's car ID quotient You sexist, you
Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K,Aug 23 2005, 10:19 PM
Lainey- That would be a good 'guessing game' for LG 05.....see who can ID 50's and 60's cars on unmarked pics

Btw, you didn't mention your sister's car ID quotient You sexist, you
Print up some pics Jerry, and I'll play the guessing game.

My sister's car ID quotient is as good, if not better than mine.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

<<<<Lainey on vintage ID

<<<<Lainey's sis on vintage ID

Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I bet I whip all of you on 50's and 60's cars identification. I knew them all (American) at one time. I had a 56 Chevy 2 door wagon for a couple years. Not a Nomad, but looked pretty good. That was right after my push-button 57 Dodge, with fins! (One fast car, but ugly) Only paid $100 for it, too. (the Dodge)
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Morris,Aug 24 2005, 02:09 PM
I bet I whip all of you on 50's and 60's cars identification. I knew them all (American) at one time. I had a 56 Chevy 2 door wagon for a couple years. Not a Nomad, but looked pretty good. That was right after my push-button 57 Dodge, with fins! (One fast car, but ugly) Only paid $100 for it, too. (the Dodge)
You'd probably beat me. I'm not so bad with making ID's of the Chevy's as well as some others. Some I can guess what year/make it is, but I doubt I'll win the prize. I do OK for a girl though.

What is the prize anyway, Jerry?

Quick Reply: Remember the 1955 Chevy?