S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
My Azek deck sure doesn't look like it did when it was new. The dark tan planks have really faded. I think there's a warranty for that but what good is it if there is?

**EDIT**

It seems that color fading is not warrantied...

"LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY AZEK Deck components (the AZEK Products) are warrantied by the manufacturer, AZEK Building Products Inc., (AZEK or Manufacturer) in accordance with the terms and conditions set out below, to be free from defects in material and workmanship that (i) occur as a direct result of the manufacturing process, (ii) occur under normal use and service, (iii) occur during the warranty period and (iv) result in blistering, peeling, flaking, cracking, splitting, cupping, rotting or structural defects from termites or fungal decay."
Patty, can the AZEK decking be stained? That is the only solution I can think of. Also, I almost posted the same smart-a$$ comment as Jerry MA, but he beat me to it!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Jerry and Gene, I'll take a faded deck over snow, thank you very much.

Oh, Gene, the Azek can be painted but I'll just live with the faded color. It's not really a big deal.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
My latest remodeling saga:
Bea decided we needed a new area rug for the dining room, so she ordered it off the internet. When we got it, and installed it, low and behold, it was too large. Oh, wait! Let's try the existing living room rug in the dining room. Wow! it fits, and the new rug looks good in the living room, so we swap them. Success? Nooope! Now, the drapes in the dining room clash with the new rug colors. So, she visits a local interior decorator, who makes a home visit and recommends new drapes for the dining room. In addition, since we don't have any accent drapes on our living room windows, she recommends the same pattern for both rooms. But, wait again! Now the room colors aren't right, and don't complement the drapes, furniture, carpet, and the re-upholstered accent chair. We contact a recommended painter who gives us an estimate that seems reasonable, so we contract with him to paint the living room and dining room. Oh, while we are at it, he says we should repair the drywall cracks and dents that have appeared over the last 13 years. He just happens to know a dry-wall guy who can fix us up. And since he's here, why not fix the two wall switch gangs that don't evenly line up? Oh, after repairing the dry-wall, the hallway, kitchen, and dining room ceilings also need to be repainted, since he can't match the original colors. OK. DO IT!

Results:
Repair, refinish, and reupholster chair that was my mom's: $1.000
New dining room rug: $500
New drapes: $2.000
Paint: $250
Dry-wall guy: $150
Painter: $1,100 (Double the original estimate)

We still have to get an electrician to install two floor outlets on either side of the relocated sofa. I guess that will be another $250 or so.
I'm sure I've missed something, but that's the majority of the cost.

Isn't remodeling fun?

I will try to post some before and after pics so that you can come to your own conclusions if you think it was worth it.
I do not do drapes so our living room has nothing over the windows. In rooms where we need privacy I have mini-blinds. I see pictures of beautiful drapes hanging over windows and think they're gorgeous. Years ago I used to have drapes, but took them down for cleaning and decided I liked the bare windows better. I often think of having them installed and remember how I hated cleaning and dusting them, so I just leave the house with what some may think is an unfinished look. I would, however, LOVE to replace or recover the furniture and we've looked at new sofas, etc. many times. We just haven't found something that we really like. We'll keep looking. I'm sure you'll love the new look.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Sounds like quite an expensive chair and rug. . I know how this stuff happens. You do one room and then notice how the other rooms need a "little" bit of work." Looking forward to your pics, Gene.

I tend to decorate piecemeal and don't like that either, but it's easier on the budget. I could use a new rug in my living room, I'm tired of looking at the one we have in there. I can work with my existing furniture and wallpaper without difficulty. I just keep finding other things to spend money on, like a new top for the S. The living room is the last room in the house with wallpaper, it looks fine, but it's on my list to have it removed.

Recently I wanted to update the living room on a cheap budget. I spent a whopping $50.00 for new valances. I put up valances only as I like a little bit of color, but want to let the light in. My sister whose house is very nicely decorated made some adjustments to the header seam on the valances for me. She told me valances are dated. I'm sure they are, but when it comes to window treatments, less is enough for me.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

^^ Obviously less is more imho. I just hate all that fabric collecting dust, dust mites, etc. My opinion is probably more because of my daughter's terrible allergies. When she was a child I had to vacuum every single day, keep all dust to an absolute minimum, change her sheets/pillow cases several times a week and so on. We had all sorts of hepa filter equipment and so on in an attempt to keep her well. She still has pollen allergies but seems to have overcome some of the others. I just got so accustomed to bright sunlight shining through the windows that I enjoy not having them covered. I'm really looking forward to Gene's pics.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

oooh I wish less was more but were facing a couple of significant projects in the not to distant future.
The kitchen will be the biggie. Thew hardwood floors have seen better days and have already been refinished once.
and then there are the counters.... my wallet is instinctively clinching up in apprehension.

And those are after I finish up the master bath shower and my never ending deck project.
Oh and painting the exterior.

you see #2 son graduates in the spring.

so I actually should be working on the shower now instead of banging on this keyboard
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We finished a bathroom re-do a few weeks ago. It ran 38% over our projected cost; which was based on our contractor's average price for these things. And, of course the over-run was based on our desires to keep pushing for the pricer products. We put all our efforts into the search for products, debating on final choices, and writing checks.

I'm dead set against dust collecting drapes as well. Where practical windows have nothing. The blinds we do have were very expensive. Main rooms have vertical blinds. Main bedroom has wide-heavy horizontal blinds that are easy to clean.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

everything always seems to run over cost. On the other hand you'll appreciate all the upgrades especially considering that in your lifetime you'll spend

15 min per day (hygiene)

15 min per day (facilities)

30 min per day total

210 min per week

10920 min per year // 182 hrs // 7.58 days

A person who lives to be 75 yrs old // 819000 mins// 13650 weeks// 568.75 days // A year and 1/2
That's a lot of time in there, may as well enjoy it Any pics?

fltsfshr
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
everything always seems to run over cost. On the other hand you'll appreciate all the upgrades especially considering that in your lifetime you'll spend

15 min per day (hygiene)

15 min per day (facilities)

30 min per day total

210 min per week

10920 min per year // 182 hrs // 7.58 days

A person who lives to be 75 yrs old // 819000 mins// 13650 weeks// 568.75 days // A year and 1/2
That's a lot of time in there, may as well enjoy it Any pics?

fltsfshr

Why am I laughing so hard. I don't and won't even use it, although it's the main bath. It was a bucket list item for the lady who cooks my meals.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
I will try to post some before and after pics so that you can come to your own conclusions if you think it was worth it.
As promised:

Dining Room Before:

Dining Room After:

View of Living Room from Dining Room Before:

Same View After:

Left Side of Living Room Before:

Same View After:

Right Side of Living Room Before:

Same View After:

Mom's Restored Chair: (No Before)

As for the drapes, you can see that they are purely decorative for accent, as we did not want to block the view out of the living room windows, since that's the main reason we bought this lot and chose this house design!

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread