S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Are you a coffee drinker?
Yes
91.67%
No
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Research may show that coffee may

Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Research may show that coffee may

This report on NPR this morning may link drinking coffee with memory loss later in life including Alzheimers.

Do you have any life experiences with older relatives or friends that may bear this research out? What do you think?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

My mother was an avid coffe drinker and she had severe dementia. I also drink a lot of coffee but if it's in the genes I dont think it matters much. I do other things that Mom didn't do such as read, exercise and I never smoked which she did so maybe that will help.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Jun 28 2010, 08:17 PM
This report on NPR this morning may link drinking coffee with memory loss later in life including Alzheimers.

Do you have any life experiences with older relatives or friends that may bear this research out? What do you think?
Was the report that coffee might help prevent memory loss rather than cause memory loss?

I agree with S2KRAY that genetics plays a role, too, as well as other things like a healthy life style, diet, exercise, brain stimulating activities, etc.

I do not like the taste of coffee, and in my entire life, I have probably had no more than a grand total of one cup of coffee, if that much. So, if drinking coffee helps prevent memory loss, I am going to be in big trouble!

I do, however, like coffee flavoring in such things as coffee/mocha ice cream, etc.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

My mother was a coffee drinker (and smoked until she was in her 90's), and she had a clear mind up until she died at the age of 101. I am a heavy coffee drinker, and I can't remember $hit!!! (CRS) Seriously, I think there is something to this study, but like all of them, there are too many variables to zero in on once aspect. (Now, which is the NSX and which is the S2000???)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Well, to start, the first question that I always want to ask is: Who funded the study? As Mark Twain stated: There are two kinds of lies, damn lies and statistics.

So far this informal unscientific poll has produced mixed results.

It will be interesting to see what other evidence shows up when others post.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Well, I seem to be the odd man (woman) out in the vote.

Let's check back in 30 years or so, and compare my memory to everyone else's.

Here is a link to a news story. Some of the comments are quite interesting.

Coffee/Alzheimer's Study
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyesue,Jun 28 2010, 09:46 PM
Well, I seem to be the odd man (woman) out in the vote.

Let's check back in 30 years or so, and compare my memory to everyone else's.
My mother has been a strong coffee drinker all of her life and at the age of 92 is sharp as a tack.

I started drinking "coffee milk" at a single digit age and I have an exceptionally good l memory that I view as a blessing and a curse.

Up until hearing this report this morning I passed it off to the amino acids found in tuna, salmon and the fish oil that I take.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

over the years many researchers have teased slight statistical anomalies into studies which the media grabs and runs with....
cranberries cause cancer....cranberries cure cancer...coffee is bad... coffee is good...no wait coffee is bad, no, good,good,bad oh I'm so confused....

essentially they are sampling the randomization that occur in very small groups without controls and attempting to extrapolate and discern large trends...
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Jun 28 2010, 06:44 PM
over the years many researchers have teased slight statistical anomalies into studies which the media grabs and runs with....
cranberries cause cancer....cranberries cure cancer...coffee is bad... coffee is good...no wait coffee is bad, no, good,good,bad oh I'm so confused....

essentially they are sampling the randomization that occur in very small groups without controls and attempting to extrapolate and discern large trends...

I drink 1 cup of coffee and my memory is much better, able to remember words, names, addresses etc. It's a stimulus, it's only logical.

But it's not permanent and a few hours after I'm back to my old stumbling self.

If I drank 2 or 3 cups it might last a little longer but for me the pros are overshadowed by the cons.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Hmm. Last time I read, I thought coffee drinking was good for your memory. I drink it. My dad did too, until he forgot he liked it. Actually, he still liked it and drank it in his assisted living place, but they only served decaff. He had Alzheimer's and died at 82.

Quick Reply: Research may show that coffee may