S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

It's time to move on.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts
Default It's time to move on.

Okay people.
I am not usually the voice of reason here, but it's time to move on.

I want to make a proposal, that I am sure will meet with a lot of opposition.

As a bit of a participant in the bruhaha of last week, we need to make some real decisions. I was also involved in a similar situation a number of years back on that "other" board. Their remedy was to remove all temptation for major disagreements, and how pray tell did they do that, you ask.

DUMP THE POLITICS FORUM Dump it now. Many of us spoke at S2KDays and there was one very troubling tendency that seemed to come. End of year seems to brew up thing. End of election years brews up very bad things. I realize that some of the issues are related to threads that are not that recent, but if we as a community want this group to survive, we need to stay away from those things which cause irritation.

S2Ki has an off-topic and a politics forum. I know that have been one of the offenders here starting what many times become provocative threads, but it's got to stop and it's got to stop now. From this point forward I will not start or post in any thread that will stir the pot. I have learned that all I am doing is listening to myself because theose that do not agree with me will never change their minds.

The CO must reign this in now, without delay, or this forum will dissolve into nothing.
If you disagree, that's fine with me. It has been propsed before, and I propose it again. Let's take this back to what it is a "CAR CLUB", period. I enjoy this community too much after the nine years I've been in it to see it flounder and die.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The flaming has been in the regular forum. The Politics forum has been doing fine.

Maybe it's the regular forum that should be dumped?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 29 2008, 01:11 PM
The flaming has been in the regular forum. The Politics forum has been doing fine.

Maybe it's the regular forum that should be dumped?
Mike , you are missing the point. When personalities get flared up there, it translates over. Also, I believe that any thread that is going to become political, needs to find itself to another forum i.e. My thread on the economy. Yes we are adults, but we sometimes we forget why we are on this forum.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I would agree Zippy, I'm a member of several car clubs, none of which have these forums and seem to exist quite well without them.
There are several other forums here that could (and should) be deleted, I'll let the powers that be decide on that issue.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I guess I can see where you are coming from, Ken, but Mike is right. I think the Politics subforum has moved some of the more controversial threads out of the main one. I don't think it would have the effect you desire, which is to reduce the level of contentious discourse. Some peeps are just going to stir, stir, stir, no matter what, whether it's politics or something else. It's true they can go over to the S2Ki Politics Forum, but many peeps like it right here in Vintage, notwithstanding the latest brouhaha.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you [Zippy] are scapegoating. The problems that blew up this week are a matter of personality clashes and past history. At least, that's the way it seemed to me.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 29 2008, 01:19 PM
I think you [Zippy] are scapegoating.
And I think you are wrong, but I will not discuss that any further.

We have a problem and if it is not fixed it will implode. There are few here that watched this level of animosity before in a car forum.

I will step away from the computer because it seems we just want to discuss the issue and not solve it. There are too many people here who just have to be right and as long as we feed the this, the more it will consume this board.

Deb,
I agree and understand what you are saying, but wee need to stop the stirring now. The discussing needs to stop and we as a community need to fix its problems.

That's all I will say.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd be in favor of creating "Outcast Island." Any member who is a PITA gets put on Outcast Island and can't post to the board. First offense is a day. Second is a week. Third is a month. Plus the person's name is listed at the top of the board under a banner that says "Now Living On Outcast Island."
Old 09-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

While the politics forum has been relatively calm, it is true that personality clashes there do leak into the main forum as well.

I'd like nothing better for this forum to become a happy place again. It can happen, but my personal opinion is that it won't until some stop (= hiding behind the computer) to attempt to disguise sarcasm which just isn't funny. That sarcasm is what ruffles the feathers of folks around here. It needs to stop. This is not a matter of thin skin, it's the old "do unto others......."
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

You know, LB, I was thinking the same thing. But who's gonna make the list???

Quick Reply: It's time to move on.