S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2000 gets no respect

Old 12-03-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 gets no respect

So, I needed some narrow double stick tape for a project, and Home Depot didn't have it. I thought maybe the big-box hobby store (a "Michaels") might (they did), so I went in and wandered around looking.

In the process, I wandered past the aisle where the model car (and airplane and battleship) kits resided, so I stopped for a look. Memory city.

Among newer cars, they had Cooper Minis; BMW Z3, Z4 & Z8; various Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos; even a Honda Civic Si and an Acura Type R.

But no S2000 kit (nor an empty place on the shelf for one). Hmmph.

Too bad -- I might have bought one. I had a whole slew of these things when I was a kid, and putting another together would have been a hoot.

The prices, incidentally, were in the $low-teens. I don't remember what they were 45 years ago. HPH
Old 12-03-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I'll keep an eye open for you, Dr. C.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

You're just a few years too late. We have about 15 models, some prebuilt and some that we built. I think they're all by Maisto (sp). They used to be everywhere, but we haven't seen any in the last few years.

Try E-bay. There must be some around.

I once did a whole thread on it titled "How to build an S2000". Here's some of the photos of my son Adam building one from that thread.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Dec 3 2006, 08:14 AM
So, I needed some narrow double stick tape for a project, and Home Depot didn't have it. I thought maybe the big-box hobby store (a "Michaels") might (they did), so I went in and wandered around looking.

In the process, I wandered past the aisle where the model car (and airplane and battleship) kits resided, so I stopped for a look. Memory city.

Among newer cars, they had Cooper Minis; BMW Z3, Z4 & Z8; various Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos; even a Honda Civic Si and an Acura Type R.

But no S2000 kit (nor an empty place on the shelf for one). Hmmph.

Too bad -- I might have bought one. I had a whole slew of these things when I was a kid, and putting another together would have been a hoot.

The prices, incidentally, were in the $low-teens. I don't remember what they were 45 years ago. HPH
When I went through Tom's collection of models ....I believe he had an S-2000 kit...when my shed gets unburied with snow...I am willing to send it to you if you want.

I don't know if you knew it but one of Tom's many hobbies was building model planes and some special cars. Unfortunetly he never got around to making this one...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Why, how generous! I'm not sure I could do it justice, though. When I was building these kits (and the ones I has were the plastic, parts-on-a-tree kind that you used airplane glue on), I was not really very good at it. I suspect I could do a little better job now (having learned a little patience), but it wouldn't turn out to be art or anything. HPH
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Dec 3 2006, 01:22 PM
Why, how generous!
Nice offer, Hilly.

I'm sure Tom would like to see someone turn that kit into a model.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Either hobby town or another hobby shop that caters mainly to modelers will have the s2k in their inventory.

I believe I saw one at wal mart a couple of years ago, but then I didn't want one.

Willinathen

Old 12-03-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm looking for a high quality AP2 model car--not a kit. The only one I could find was a transformer, which came in NFR. It's not bad, but I'd like something better. If anyone knows where one might be found, please let me know
Old 12-03-2006, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=carpe diem,Dec 3 2006, 04:37 PM] I'm looking for a high quality AP2 model car--not a kit.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tomcattplus1,Dec 3 2006, 12:37 PM
When I went through Tom's collection of models ....I believe he had an S-2000 kit...when my shed gets unburied with snow...I am willing to send it to you if you want.

I don't know if you knew it but one of Tom's many hobbies was building model planes and some special cars. Unfortunetly he never got around to making this one...
If "DrCloud" passes on your offer, I would be more than honored to build it and send it back to you.

Just let me know what color you would like it to be painted.

Quick Reply: S2000 gets no respect