S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2000 - Too noisy?

Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 5,036 Likes on 3,040 Posts
Default S2000 - Too noisy?

On S2000 Talk there is a thread about painting the trunk and pulling out the carpeting to paint the floor with two or three coats of sound deafing material. It's a hot topic with 3000 hits in a month and dozens of owners jumping with joy. Auto Tester's can't wait to tell you about the noise. Here's a typical test report: Daniel Barron posted Sep 3, 2004, "Driving the S2000 is a whole different experience with the top up. Wind and road noise are very loud, and the clank and clatter of metal parts from the roof are abundant anytime you're in motion."

My feelings are just the opposite when it comes to this subject. When it comes to rag top sports cars, I think the S2000 is just fine. Clearly these folks have never spent much time in the sports cars of the past. They should try listening to the radio with "side curtains" rattling like a rap band gone wild. Some moan about these cars as daily drivers. Even with my more modern Triumph with roll-up windows, I had to scrap ice off the inside of the windshield all the time during winter daily driving. They moan about wind buffeting. Clearly they do not appreciate how effect the small OEM wind blocker between the seats is. When my vintage car buddies go for their first ride, the first comment is always - wow, this cuts through the air like a knife.... no buffeting.

What a bunch of wimps!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 AM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

They just need a louder exhaust to mask any other "objectionable" noises.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they should buy a Lincoln or a Caddie instead of sound proofing the S. IMHO sound proofing a rag top sports car is like putting elevators in an outhouse .......... don't belong!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 AM

I couldn't agree more (see avatar). When I first drove the S2000 I thought it was maybe a little too refined and quiet, I have now gotten used to the sounds and think they are just right. I can hardly wait until my TR4 is roadworthy again so I don't get to spoiled.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 AM

The best way to fix objectionable noise levels, IMHO, is with some really good speakers!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 AM

I love the sounds this car makes. I can count the times on one hand that I've used the radio/CD. It's always off.

I much prefer the music this wonderful car makes: the engine, exhaust, gear whine, wind noise and everything else.

Oh, and it is my daily driver and I think it's the best daily driver I've ever owned!

This is me every time I drive this car:
Old 02-03-2005, 08:56 AM

After driving a 65 Sunbeam Tiger, 73 TR6 with a Supersprint exhaust system and a 75 911S with headers the S2000 was somewhat tame. I actually added the Comptech intake, Comptech headers & Comptech exhaust system to give the car a little more growl, and yes my wife says it is noisy, but it is my own unique noise.
I like it, growl and all;
Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 AM

[quote name='wpriller' date='Feb 3 2005, 12:56 PM']After driving a 65 Sunbeam Tiger, 73 TR6 with a Supersprint exhaust system and a 75 911S with headers the S2000 was somewhat tame.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 5,036 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Boy, am I glad to find out I'm not alone.

I love the sounds of this car and like some of you wouldn't mind a little more growl. But I'd have to road test someone's S2000 install before I'd ever try something new. Trouble is there is no one around my neck of the woods, at least that I'm aware of, who has installed an aftermarket. I'd really like to try a Mugen out (based on what I've read).
Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Helios' date='Feb 3 2005, 02:25 PM

So what's the verdict on the Comptech mods? Notice any performance difference? I've considered getting the exhaust.
I like the Comptech mods., the S seems to breathe better and it has a nice growl without it being overbearing. Since my car hasn't been dyno, I contacted Comptech Technical Department to see what the increase would be in bhp., and they quoted me 6 to 10 or 6 to 12. They stated that an indoor dyno is not going to give a true estimate on the increase because of no airflow going through the intake. I know alot of the younger S drivers prefer the Mugen, Spoon and some of the other aftermarket exhaust systems. My preference is Comptech and being a Vintage Member and knowing Comptech's reputation that was my preference. When I did the intake, I had to change my Neuspeed strut brace out because it wouldn't fit over the Comptech intake. So naturally I went with the Comptech Titaniun strut brace. If you do decide to go with the Comptech system, I think you will like it, and from the intake to the exhaust, they are well engineer with good quality materials.

Quick Reply: S2000 - Too noisy?