S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2000 - Too noisy?

Old 02-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatt' date='Feb 3 2005, 11:08 AM
I love the sounds this car makes. I can count the times on one hand that I've used the radio/CD. It's always off.

I much prefer the music this wonderful car makes: the engine, exhaust, gear whine, wind noise and everything else.

Oh, and it is my daily driver and I think it's the best daily driver I've ever owned!

This is me every time I drive this car:
except now and then I DO have to listen to Fleetwood Mac in the cd player.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I think that the S has a great sound, that was one of the first things I noticed when doing the test drive! Most everyone that has been in it also agrees that it sounds good !
Old 02-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

With the top down, the wind noise masks all of the other noises. With the top up it should be kept in the garage. Roadsters should be driven top down.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i though that was the purpose of this type of vehicle! get out and experience the smells,noise, weather,scenery. i am not dead yet the time of life in a coffin will come. i personally enjoy the sound the cut of the gears in the transmission make reminds me of previous vehicles.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:02 PM

Jeez! This really is the old farts forum isn't it? What's wrong with comparing the quality of the S's sound deadening to the other convertibles of today instead of those of 40 years ago?

I like the roar of the S too. But it can be a bit tiring after 3 hours with the cruise set. What I'd really like to get rid of is the resonant booms from the trunk that I get on some expansion joints. It makes the car sound cheap, and it makes it harder to hear the exhaust and intake noises.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Best exhaust note I've heard is the Spugen dual. I'm pretty sure tom717 has one of those on his Spa, and possibly even Rick.

That said, it is tiresome to listen to the drone of even the stock exhaust with the top up while traveling on the highway. If I'm driving the car in rain (I know, heaven forfend, right Rob? ), I get tired of the noise. For long trips, I've got earplugs in most of the way. I'm just sensitive to sound.

I'm not saying I'd put sound deadener into my car or change it in any way, I'm just agreeing that it's not perfect for long cruises with the top up.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 5,033 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Traveler' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:02 PM

Jeez! This really is the old farts forum isn't it?
But look who's using the cruise control. Next you will want a backing up camera. Just kidding.

Personally I never have the top up for 3 hours unless it's raining. Then, and only then, being an old fart, I pull out my oldies CDs.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 5,033 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Feb 3 2005, 10:13 PM
Best exhaust note I've heard is the Spugen dual.
But is that from inside the car or outside? My interest would be from inside; I'm the only one I'm trying to entertain.

PS sounds like you better order a gallon of that paint.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:10 PM

[Non-Vintage poster]

I absolutely loved the sounds my car made when it was stock. But now that I've got a single exhaust and some other mods I could use a little break from all the shrieking and popping once in a while. And the laidies aren't too fond of it, either.

On the other hand, the windblocker between my seats was gone as soon as I could get rid of it. I enjoy letting my ears flap

[/Non-Vintage poster]
Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 PM

I have to admit, it sounds noisy to me when I'm in it, but when I have another person in the car, we can carry on a normal conversation just fine.

I love the mechanical sounds: the engine (when you can hear it, it's so quiet), the differential, the transmission. The wind noise and the tire noise are okay. The exhaust drone when cruising on the highway ... well, I guess I'm too used to the low bass notes of a V8 with a three inch exhaust pipe, sorry. I'll have to pick up some of that sound deadener.

Quick Reply: S2000 - Too noisy?