S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Safety Regulations - Saving us from ourselves.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Default The Safety Regulations - Saving us from ourselves.

Back in the day, we had a great Toro lawn mower. It really did start on the first or second pull. It was self propelled, and I had no trouble using it to mow the lawn. Fast forward a few (about 20) years and we needed a new mower. Now due to safety regulations, the gears/blades can't be moving or some such BS when the mower is started. So you have to hold on to this, yank on the cord to pull. NO can do with "iffy" shoulders, and short arms. We bought one lawn mower and returned it. We now have a lawn mower with a key start.

I took yesterday off to play "catch up" after Spring Fling. On my "to do" list was mow the lawn. Yes, this pampered wife actually mows the lawn from time to time.

We've had this mower for a while, and I have to say whenever I used it, I realize there is nothing I like about it, except the key start. It is heavy, the handle is tall, it's hard to back up, and I miss the old Toro.

I wonder if I promise to not stick my hands in the blades when starting the mower if Toro would build me the model I used to have.

Are you missing some old appliance or tool that worked just fine, but now the newer improved SAFER model just doesn't cut it? (No pun intended)

OK, time to dig out my desk.....
Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

I hate the new mowers as well. I use a walk behind when doing a steep ditch which requires a balancing act of walking and steering, so I tie the safety handle with a rope.

I really hate the new gasoline cans with their so-called safety spout which I believe is really unsafe when trying to fill any small movable yard tool.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a basic mower about three years ago. it seems fine, but itis not self propelled. One of my partners has the new battery powered electric mower. he loves it. Says it is very light and quiet.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM

^
Bill we looked at the electric models on line. A co-worker has one and loves it too. Maybe next time. I can tell you I was thinking CONDO yesterday when I was mowing the lawn.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Just a few days ago, I opened some food item (can't remember what it was) and the directions for preparation said don't eat the plastic. Sure glad they told me cause it looked pretty good to me.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Lainey, I deal with this crap every day of the week as part of my job. When I buy things like a lawnmower (for home only!!) the very first thing I do is try to figure out how to beat some of the safeties. It has just gotten out of hand.

IMHO if you get run over by a lawn mower we should just consider it as thinning the herd and just move on.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

How about the blasted cars that kick the cruise control off if you get too close to the car in front of you....

When I had a Genesis sedan for a loaner for a few weeks... I hated that feature....

But then, for all the clueless drivers out there, it probably is a good idea!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

And don't get me started on those child proof caps!!!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
As far was lawn mowers go spend the money and buy a commercial Honda lawn mower. Its not cheap but you will never buy another mower again. My first Honda was twenty years old and never had any issues that is until some idiot decided to steal it. Purchased the same mower about five years ago it cranks on the second pull and the motor turns with the blade not turning until you engage the handle. Best safey feature of the mover. Best of luck
I'm sure that is the safety feature our new mower has that I'm not fond of. Given our postage stamp sized lawn, a commercial lawn mower might be overkill. I found it difficult to hold the handle and pull on the cord. The key start is nice, but the battery adds a few pounds to the mower. The mower is self propelled and runs fine, cuts the lawn nicely, it's just not my Toro.

Glad I'm not alone in this "wishing for the old stuff." Oh and Morris/Dean I believe I just noticed one of those warnings about not eating plastic. I'm good with that, unless it's chocolate covered plastic. Then I might take a chance.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Lainey - a short section of Velcro can wrap around the handle and hold it in place.

Quick Reply: The Safety Regulations - Saving us from ourselves.