S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Selecting a specific seat in a class

Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts
Default Selecting a specific seat in a class

As mentioned, here and there I just took a photo class. Originally we had about 10 students. The chairs were lined up when we got there. I chose the outside seat of the second row.

That seat was "my seat" for the rest of the class, most others stayed in the same seats they had chosen. One couple moved up to the front row when a few folks didn't show.

So, I wonder. Is there any deep psychological meaning to selecting a specific seat in a class, seminar or other gathering?

What does my second row, outside seat say about me?

Let the psychobabble begin!!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front row seats (geeks and suck-ups) or back row seats (slackers and people like me, whatever that means) do have some meaning, but your seat was ordinary.

On the other hand the "my seat" thing does indeed have deep psychological implications. And the fact that almost everyone else had a "my seat" as well just shows how brainwashed we all are by the teachers we had in grade school. HPH
Old 02-04-2011, 04:49 AM

I've never looked into it all that deeply. In my classes I refer to the last row of seats as "slacker row". The students get a chuckle out of it.
I've noticed that there's a tendency for the more extroverted folks tend to sit closer to the front and the more introverted tend to sit closer to the back.
Of course, there are a slew of reasons people sit where they sit, which may have nothing at all to do with psychology. Eyesight and hearing may also play a role.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Geeks and suckups???? Tsk Tsk. Some of us are just plain shorter in height and more near sighted than others. Hence we choose the front seats. Now, if I were 6' ft tall and seated in the front row with near 20/20 vision . . . I may be a geek or a suckup.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Feb 4 2011, 08:46 AM
Front row seats (geeks and suck-ups) or back row seats (slackers and people like me, whatever that means) do have some meaning, but your seat was ordinary.

On the other hand the "my seat" thing does indeed have deep psychological implications. And the fact that almost everyone else had a "my seat" as well just shows how brainwashed we all are by the teachers we had in grade school. HPH
One of the front row seat occupants used a tripod on our first assignment. That was a "no no" as the idea of the assignment was to see how steady we could hold the camera.

Maybe she was a suck up then, wanting to get the best pic, but in reality she was a cheater. Of course, maybe she just didn't realize the purpose of the assignment, and the instructor never said "no tripods."

We all chuckled last night, as we reviewed our homework pictures. We all took notes on the homework assignment, however, several folks interpreted it differently. One woman asked, "Are we all in the same class?"
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 AM

<---- Suck up
Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

In classes I've been in that I really want to get as much out of it as possible, I'll choose the seat closest to the front and with the best view of the screen (if the teacher uses an overhead or computer) that is available. I want to hear the instructor and see well. It depends on how early you arrive to class as to what's available. If I'm in a class that I don't care about (or a meeting) I'll be farther back.

The last class I took was Photoshop and we each sat at an Apple computer. People did tend to choose the same computer each time. I tried to be as close to the front of the room as I could, but used two or three different computers over the 30 or so classes.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM

When I took a course in Excel a couple of years ago, I think I chose the second row again. I didn't want to sit near guys like Chet/Raymo, just in case the instructor thinks the same way as Dr. C and labels me a suck up.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 AM

I have not been to a 'class' in years but I notice at the office, for my boss' staff meetings, we all seem to sit in the same spots. Same for the yoga classes and Zumba classes I've attended.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by PJRider,Feb 4 2011, 10:00 AM
I have not been to a 'class' in years but I notice at the office, for my boss' staff meetings, we all seem to sit in the same spots. Same for the yoga classes and Zumba classes I've attended.
Oh forgot about that one. I attended an aerobic dance class for years. We all had our "spots" Such creatures of habit.

Quick Reply: Selecting a specific seat in a class