S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The shoe thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 622 Likes on 376 Posts

Some cowboys out here in the West refer to their boots with riding heels as manly footwear, but even the boots that cowgirls wear are called cowboy boots?! My wife and I have matching cordovan colored Lucchese goat skins that we like to wear when we go kicker dancing.

But the best boots for the mountain trails are Saloman hiking boots. Teva sandals are great for the rocks, and Saucony cross trainers are for general stuff. I like to wear moccasins when driving the S.

All that said, I wear loafers most of the time...
Old 03-10-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two extremes ... driving and everything else.

For driving I favor some sort of mesh-top rafting or water shoe. I'm not sure of the brand, but they say "made in U.S.A." on the bottom. I grabbed 'em out of a big bin from some outdoor type store a couple of years ago. Cost me three bucks. With another few dollars spent on an insertable insole for arch support, they can be worn around the gas station etc. with no problem.

For everything else gentlemen (and ladies) ... it's boots. I must have about a dozen pair laying around. For everyday wear it's Justin Ropers, hands down. For church, usually the Lucchese ostrich or croc's will be appropriate ... well polished, of course.

For really special occasions I have both a pair of Jason Carpenter's or a pair of Olsen-Stelzer's to don. Both these are custom made and are major contributers to me not being able to afford to modify the S.

But none of the above compare to my favorite footgear ... a pair of Acme Roughouts purchased in January, 1969. If memory serves me well, and there is no guarentee of that, I believe I dropped about 30 dollars ... a not insignificant sum for me in those days. Got 'em in Lawton, OK. They have been resoled, re-heeled, stitched and patched, one pull has been completely replaced, and the others re-sewn numerous times, and there's a cut in the side right now that may be the death knell. I've rodeoed in them, I've mucked out stalls with them on, I've pulled calves, got drunk in them ... you name it ... yeah, even that. For years I have referred to them as "foot puxxys" because they just feel so doggone good when you slip into them. Hope no one's offended. Everyone take care. JGP
Old 03-10-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ranger
Two extremes ... driving and everything else.

For driving I favor some sort of mesh-top rafting or water shoe.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 1,115 Posts

My grandmother used to believe that sneakers could actually ruin your feet if worn for long periods of time. I think she thought that they would destroy your arches. I used to live in my PF Flyers and she'd get upset.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
My grandmother used to believe that sneakers could actually ruin your feet if worn for long periods of time.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 03-10-2004, 09:04 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by valentine
Old 03-11-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 747 Likes on 454 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
My grandmother used to believe that sneakers could actually ruin your feet if worn for long periods of time.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:41 AM

Peter Egan has it right. When I buy a new pair of running shoes, it's almost like getting a new car: I love the smell of plastic and glue; they just seem to fly along the ground; and they stay nice and clean for the first few runs.
Then time sets in; the cushioning goes flat; I forget to wipe them off, and before you know it I'm using them to knock around on the weekends.
Then maybe they get torn, or the soles get worn down. Then they become yardwork shoes, and after that -- it's off to Goodwill.
On a side note, I've always said that when I retire, I want my biggest daily problem to involve what color sneaker and t-shirt to wear.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Helios
On a side note, I've always said that when I retire, I want my biggest daily problem to involve what color sneaker and t-shirt to wear.
How many pair of sneakers do you have??

Years ago, I got rid of all my all white tee shirts. If I now wear a tee, it's by itself. At about the same time I threw out all my white dress shirts. Maybe I have a thing against white, dunno. Had to buy a white dress shirt the other day for the orchestra. Now they gave me a tux and I guess I have to buy another shirt - maybe it'll be lavender.

I'm always in tennies. Had been buying Fila, but they aren't as stylish anymore, so I bought Nikes this time. I wear dress shoes to church on Sundays, but that's the only time.

Being retired is nice.......

Gerry

Quick Reply: The shoe thread