S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Spring Cleaning

Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts
Default Spring Cleaning

I am ashamed to admit, but my garage has looked like $hit all winter, so today, since the weather was nice, I decided to tackle the job. My 13 year old grandson, who is on spring break, came over to help, and about 6 hours later, we had filled up one large trash container, plus accumulated a big pile of stuff for our neighborhood yard sale, and made a run to the recycle yard. I also took this opportunity to completely rearrange the garage, and the results were worth all the effort. Why, oh, why did I wait so long to do this? Also, how could we have possibly accumulated all this junk???

Anyone else done this?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 2,967 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Gene, my garage isn't too bad but my office desk is a mess and it's spread to my dining room table. I need to get a handle on it.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 AM

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,620 Posts

We have no garage, so stuff doesn't pile up. We do have an attic and the only thing up there now is suitcases. I cleaned out the "stuff" a few years ago. Rick's work area in the basement gets messy from time to time, but he'll go down there on a rainy day and straighten it out. I've never been much of a collector of "stuff". I toss stuff, then sometimes go looking for it. My closet is weeded out whenever I buy new stuff. If I haven't worn an article of clothing in more than a year, chances are it can be tossed/donated.

I used to do a real good spring/fall cleaning around the house every season. Change curtains or valances, wash wood work, that kind of thing. Now I do it when I see too much dust, I'm sick of looking at a pair of curtains or window valances, or the spirit moves me, which ever comes first.

I have one drawer in which I toss bank statements, pay stubs, etc. that is the messiest drawer in the house. BUT I just cleaned it out the other day, now to file the stuff that needs filing.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Received 4,934 Likes on 2,992 Posts

I never accumulate any more than I have to in my 'spaces'. I want as much open space as I can get, no matter the space. My wife is totally opposite. I can't even stand to look at her 'spaces'. Thankfully, she did get a little motivated this past week and we have now have a huge pile of stuff in the basement for the Easter Seals Pick-up next week. I refuse to even mess around with garage sales - too much work, too little results.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 3,793 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I do both spring and fall cleaning. My house is only a 850 sq foot cottage so its not too bad but I get dust all over so I pull furn. away from the wall and do the walls and ceiling. I just got a wet vac and I'll use that with the big wand to clean out the corners in the ceilings and also my screens. I also like to flip and turn my mattress twice a year. Tomorrow I'm going to swamp out my truck and put a coat of wax on it and spring clean that.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the spring cleaning in the garage last Sunday. I moved everything that was on the floor out of the garage, swept the floor, then mixed up a five gallon bucket of car wash soap to wash the floor. I used a bristle broom to agitate it, hosed the floor down to rinse, then used the squeegee and broom to push the rinse water out. It was time well spent.