S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are stick shifts on the way out?

Old 02-03-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:02 PM
So, apparently, back in December, I was advocating the spread of the sequential, manual transmission with a servo-controlled clutch. This month, Car and Driver magazine panned the BMW Z-4's SMG tranny.

I'm going to have to drive one of these. I still think this is the future, but perhaps it's not the present.

Road and Track just had their feature article this month pitting 10 sports cars against each other (the S came in an incredibly respectable 5th, beat only by the Lotus Elise, Porsche 911S, Porsche Boxster S, and Chevy Corvette). The definition included a manual transmission.

I think this is all very interesting. I know, personally, I think I'd like to have an S2000 with a fast-acting SMG, but perhaps it's premature.
I don't know, Chaz. I suppose your revolutionary SMG tranny with the servo-controlled clutch will be a few tenths of a second faster, but I still like driving my traditional, old fashioned, manual transmission.

Those few tenths of a second, much like the 150 mph top speed, really don't mean much to me. Especially when compared to the fun and the feel of a good old fashioned third into second downshift into a tight turn. Or a perfectly executed upshift when it matters.

I suppose the SMG tranny is the way of the future, and even if something is gained, something will be lost too.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 3 2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know, Chaz. I suppose your revolutionary SMG tranny with the servo-controlled clutch will be a few tenths of a second faster, but I still like driving my traditional, old fashioned, manual transmission.

I suppose the SMG tranny is the way of the future, and even if something is gained, something will be lost too.
The 6 spd manual on the E46 M3 is faster than the SMG, but I agree that SMG type transmission vehicles will be the wave of the future. Automatic trannys will improve to the point that most cars will not even have an option for a manual, but I expect that S's, Miata's Lotus' and the like will always have a manual gearbox.

At some point, all cars will be electric or hybrid .
Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:27 PM

Those few tenths of a second, much like the 150 mph top speed, really don't mean much to me. Especially when compared to the fun and the feel of a good old fashioned third into second downshift into a tight turn. Or a perfectly executed upshift when it matters.

While C&D is panning the SMG on the Z-4, R&T proclaims Honda's 6-spd manual in the S as "quite simply the best in the world."

So, Rob, I think I'm agreeing with you. After seeing what C&D had to say, I'm not switching to a seq. tranny any time soon.

And, damn if I don't love the S's shifter! I just don't have the chops for heel and toe that I'd like! I can't let Keith keep smoking me in the turns, Rob! (dang Ferraris!)
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FO2K' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:40 PM
The 6 spd manual on the E46 M3 is faster than the SMG, but I agree that SMG type transmission vehicles will be the wave of the future. Automatic trannys will improve to the point that most cars will not even have an option for a manual, but I expect that S's, Miata's Lotus' and the like will always have a manual gearbox.

At some point, all cars will be electric or hybrid .
Completely agree on your predictions, but just like the inevitable death of the internal combustion engine, yeah, manual trannies will go the same route.

That surely ain't today though.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo' date='Feb 3 2005, 07:52 PM
And, damn if I don't love the S's shifter! I just don't have the chops for heel and toe that I'd like!
I just wish my feet didn't get all tangled up when I try heel and toeing.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:24 PM

[quote name='tomcatt' date='Feb 4 2005, 12:20 AM'] I just wish my feet didn't get all tangled up when I try heel and toeing.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by klassyblue' date='Feb 3 2005, 08:24 PM
Tom it's easier if you don't wear those black pumps when your doing this!!!

It's those high-heeled sneakers.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:28 PM

Someday I expect I'll be unable to buy a car with a manual transmission. (Paddle shifters don't count.)

Heck, I'm already unable to buy a car without ABS brakes.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:14 PM

Chazmo's got the "pulse" on this topic, as far as I'm concerned. Still, I prefer a sequential shifter--on bikes you can get electronic cutout so that the spark is arrested briefly during shifting to make things faster and smoother.

Porsche is attacking the problem from the other side--making auomatic shifters act as if they're people-friendly manuals.

The CVT is nice, but has already been eclipsed by the 6-speed auto, imo.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by paS2K' date='Dec 8 2004, 02:00 PM
My dad's 1960 Dodge Dart had 3 on the tree and the venerable 225 slant six (no, preVints....that's not a 6 speed tranny )

When the shift linkage would get hung up for some reason, you just raised the hood and reached in on the driver's side and unstuck the gear roads poking thru the firewall This in the car that I learned to drive in....

Does anyone else have 3 on the tree stories
My dad had a Ford Econoline with 4 on the tree boy that was different. But staying on the subject yes I feel the truly manual tranny will disappear. I think this will happen in our life time.

Quick Reply: Are stick shifts on the way out?