S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sunglasses, which color is better?

Old 09-08-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Sunglasses, which color is better?

I had an appointment with the optometrist this evening. Needless to say, my eyes have gotten a little weaker and I need new glasses.

I am going to have two pair of progressive bifocals made, one will be sun sensor.

I am also going to have a pair of sunglasses made to use mostly for driving, mostly top down but sometimes to use in my 4Runner as well. I was wondering if there is any advantage to any of the colors. Are any colors better suited to the needs of driving? What should I look for?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]I had an appointment with the optometrist this evening.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

"Polarized" are best to reduce glare. I've used them and you can even see through the glare on top of water. It's quite effective. I've "heard" that sunglasses with that brownish tint makes for better visual definition. Your optometrist should be able to tell you best.
OK, after reading boiler's post, greyish.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Ralper:

Ray Ban Predators. RB3132 is my personal choice. Check out the full line here:

http://www.rayban.com/

Click Sun series, then choose Predators. They have an amazing line to choose from.

Oh, and as for color...Black. Its the color best suited to the car!

Get in your S2000, put on the Predators, and be as bad as you wanna be!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:59 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
[B]Ralper:
Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practical Sailor (yes, really) did a sunglasses test. Maui Jim brand outperformed Oakleys and others.

Neutral grey polarized is best overall, though golfers might consider dark orange for reading greens.

Not sure about the availability of polarized in prescription. I have a pair of multi-focal tinted dark grey. The grey gives a reddish tinge. The old rayban G15 (?) dark grey-green may be perceived as more neutral.

Ask a simple question...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 AM

Does anyone have the Serengeti glasses with the reddish tint? If so, how are they for driving. I'm considering getting a pair, but would like to hear some opinions first.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:30 PM

I've got some old Sunclouds with the rose lenses. I have loved them for years, decades even. Suncloud is no longer made, boo hoo. I was searching for some for a friend and found that out. Sunglass guy said the Serengetis were the closest thing to the Suncloud rose.

I also knew a cinematographer that shot ski films. He had a pair of prescription glasses made with a pretty deep red tint, mostly for snow but I know he wore them at other times too.

Yellow works better in a very flat light and near dusk but I found the rose the best overall. Rose colored lenses, I'm always a happy guy.

Gary
Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sailor
[B]Practical Sailor (yes, really) did a sunglasses test.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:47 PM

Smokee, you've convinced me to go with the Serengeti rose colored glasses. There is a great deal on them at overstock.com.
They're only about $50 which is pretty good since they normally sell for over $100. They're probably last years style, but who cares.

Quick Reply: Sunglasses, which color is better?