S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Supreme Court says your house is theirs

Old 06-23-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vyktor,Jun 23 2005, 12:24 PM
...Thomas and I belief one other was appointed by Clinton.
NOT Thomas.......
Old 06-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Breyer - Clinton
Ginsberg - Clinton
Thomas - Bush
Souter - Bush
Kennedy - Reagan
Rehnquist - Nixon
Scalia - Clinton (just kiddin') Reagan
O'Connor - Reagan
Stevens - Ford
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by canberra,Jun 23 2005, 02:32 PM

I can't write what I'm thinking/feeling in a public forum.... so I'll just leave it at

I think I saw a segment on 60 minutes on this subject matter. Maybe it was when it first proposed??? I'm not sure I'm right on the segment, but this decision is WAY over the top, IMHO.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I found out that the goverment can take away your house for failure to pay property taxes, I realised that Americans don't own homes - they just rent them from the government.

Is this the same country that sparked a revolution over a tax on tea, or have I stepped into the Twilight Zone?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:12 AM

This is definitely Twilight Zone material, IMO.

I think that there should be a Constitutional Amendment that says the Supreme Court can be overturned by a supermajority of the Congress. Stupid laws like these should not be allowed to stand.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM

What really needs to happen is that the good citizens band together and pressure their state governments to pass laws to restrict this practice. According to the article there are states which already do this. Property ownership is one of the basic rights this country was founded upon. For God's sake, only property owners were allowed to vote for many years. This is a direct attack on the basis of citizenship in the U.S.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

This has been happening for decades at least. Noone hears about it unless it happens to you.

Check these folks out. They win most cases they take on in this area. Due to them, there's a little old lady living in (I believe) Ocean City that Trump had to build around. This group is tops in my book.

The Institute for Justice

The very possibility that these guys would get involved in a case in Pitssburgh got the major to back down on one of his proposals.

This is one of the main reasons why I have to (sadly) laugh whenever I hear someone talk about us living in a free country. When the govt owns everything, and you only get to keep what they don't want, any other freedom you have is strictly conditional.

JonasM
Old 06-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Some quotes from the Institute's website on this case:

[QUOTE]Chip Mellor, the president of the Institute for Justice, said,
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 733 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm totally surprised at the justices who voted FOR this!! I can certainly understand eminent domain for certain things, but absolutely NOT for retail businesses!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't find the decision from my home computer. I just read a few synopses, so I have some idea what happened.

As I understand it, the city in question is considered to be in a state of economic blight. The city designed a redevelopment plan that called for a new office-hotel-retail and housing area where the appelants' homes were located. The cities plan was deemed by the court to be in the best interest of the city and was considered to be thoughtful and reasonable.

I do not know if all of this is true of course. But remember, the Supremes are not fact finders. They must rely on the facts as decided by the lower court, or, if there is evidence that the lower court made a mistake in the finding of facts, return the case to the trial court for further deliberations. So, lets assume the facts are accurate.

That said, do all of you really believe a city cannot take property to revitalize a city that is in an economic depression? If so, then why should a city be allowed to take such steps to effect other public goals? Is the economic stability and future of a city any less important than a roadway or a housing development?

FWIW, decades ago my grandmother had her property taken by emminent domain to build public housing. This happened back in the day when the city didn't really bother to give you the fair value of your property. Our family felt emminent domain should not be allowed for ANY reason, short of civil emergency where a home must be destroyed to stop the spread of fire, for example.

So I ask you, is this simply a step to far for all of you, or are you opposed to the entire concept. If it is just a step to far, then why is economic revitalization a less worthy goal than roads or public housing?

Quick Reply: Supreme Court says your house is theirs