S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tom DeLay Indicted

Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Tom DeLay Indicted

WASHINGTON (Sept. 28) - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post. A defiant DeLay insisted he was innocent and called the prosecutor a "partisan fanatic."

"I have done nothing wrong ... I am innocent," DeLay told a Capitol Hill news conference in which he criticized the Texas prosecutor, Ronnie Earle, repeatedly. DeLay called Earle a "unabashed partisan zealot," and "fanatic," and described the charges as "one of the weakest and most baseless indictments in American history."

The indictment accused DeLay, 58, of a conspiracy to violate Texas election law, which prohibits use of corporate donations to advocate the election or defeat of political candidates. The alleged scheme worked in a roundabout way, with the donations going to a DeLay-founded political committee, then to the Republican National Committee and eventually to GOP candidates in Texas

Indicted with DeLay were two of his associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

In Austin, Texas, Earle told reporters, "Our job is to prosecute abuses of power and to bring those abuses to the public."

DeLay is the first House leader to be indicted while in office in at least a century, according to congressional historians.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said in a statement.

The Republican rank and file met privately a few hours after the indictment was issued to consider filling the vacancy in the leadership ranks.

Several GOP officials said that Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., initially intended to recommend to that Rep. David Dreier of California step into the duties, with additional responsibilities going to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. These officials later cautioned that Hastert's plans could change.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

And the jails are full of "innocent" people, just ask them.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about time!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

yep due process is occurring. Now I think it goes to judicial review to see if it stands on it's merits.

going to be interesting

fltsfshr
Old 09-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

And Ken Starr wasn't a fanatic?

I just hope we don't spend Millions and Millions again.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I'm afraid to post what I think. I'll be accused of causing the scandal.

But yes, its about time.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by PokS2k,Sep 28 2005, 06:58 PM
And Ken Starr wasn't a fanatic?

I just hope we don't spend Millions and Millions again.
to a point*

I am sure that "THEY" will spend Millions of "OUR" money. Wasn't it Richard Nixon that also used the quote: "I have done nothing wrong?"

I know that I should post this in the joke thread but it seems so "appropro" here:

God was missing for six days. Michael, the archangel, found him on the seventh day, resting.

He inquired of God, "Where have you been?" God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction, and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael. Look at what I've created."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and asked, "What is it?"

"It's a planet", replied God, "and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance." "Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.
God explained, pointing to different parts of earth. "For instance, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe will be poor. Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things."

God continued, pointing to different countries "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered with ice."

The Archangel, was very impressed by God's handiwork, and pointed to a land area and asked, "What's that one?"

"Ah" said God, "That's Washington State, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills, plains and coulees. The people from Washington State are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent and humorous. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achievers, and they will be known all over earth as diplomats and carriers of peace."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then proclaimed "What about balance? You said there would be balance."

God Smiled. "There is another Washington, wait until you see the idiots I put there."
Old 09-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 28 2005, 06:52 PM
I'm afraid to post what I think. I'll be accused of causing the scandal.
Something about his a$$ being in jail experiencing a new meaning of "hammer time"?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:19 PM

I'll make a prediction here--he gets off Scott free. I mean, I could have a grand jury charge Rob with being a Republican if I wanted.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ulrich,Sep 28 2005, 08:14 PM
Something about his a$$ being in jail experiencing a new meaning of "hammer time"?
No, not what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Tom DeLay Indicted