S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Trick or Treat? What was your favorite candy as a kid!

Old 11-01-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry, I am up for a local drive ending in HSY. The Tech center is not the place for a tour , just a bunch of food scientists running a muck. The real tour would be at the main plant. It's impossible since 9-11 to get public groups in. There is a big concern with food safety( that's a good thing) we could definitely do the Chocolate world tour that's not bad for a simulation. PM me if you want to pull this together as I am traveling a lot over the next few weeks. Off to Nova Scotia Canada Monday, We have a plant there too! Then to Memphis the following week!
Old 11-01-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trich1687
Jerry, I am up for a local drive ending in HSY. The Tech center is not the place for a tour , just a bunch of food scientists
Old 11-01-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Hmmmm...this is a tough one. I think I would have to say jelly beans, although I love chocolate-covered nuts - peanuts, pecans, etc. Got some chocolate-covered macadamia nuts in Hawaii...Yummy! But jelly beans I would eat alot of I kept them around the house. So I don't. I went to the Jelly Belly plant in CA not too long ago. Fascinating. They have large color pictures (maybe 3' by 4') of famous people done all in Jelly Bellys. It's amazing. And so many flavors you can't keep track. I think the most interesting one is popcorn but there are lots of others.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

From my childhood I have to go by catagory.

Sugar candy: Dots on paper

Chocolate bar: Nestle crunch

Seasonal candy: Candy corn (fall) Pixie sticks (summer)

Candy bar: 3 Musketeers

Gum: Bazooka Joe (but I spent a fortune on baseball cards and Outer Limits cards with one stick of dried up gum in every package!)

And the candy I hated: Chunky and anything with coconut.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:16 AM

#1 all time favorite is...........See's Candy Nuts and Chews.

Tootsie Pops
Worther's hard candy
Almond Joy
Snickers
3 Musketeers
Nestle's crunch
Hershey almond bar
Root Beer Barrels
Candy covered peanuts from the nickel machine...Used to be a nickel at the barbershop or bus depot when I was a youngen

When I was 7 years old, I remember getting a huge candy bar for a dime. Seemed like a 2# Hershey bar for a dime. I swear it lasted me a couple of days. I could also get a grape Shasta or Bark's soda for a dime. Then I'd have money left over from my 50 cent/week job to buy a rabbit's foot and Batman rings. A really cool squirt gun cost $1.00 but that took two weeks of doing without. That was back when quarters and dimes were real money. Silver! 1/2 dollars were Franklin 1/2s or Kennedy halfs. I used to love those. Roosevelt dimes or Mercury dimes. Wheat ear pennies or steel pennies that you could pick up with a magnet. War nickels were cool too. Once in awhile I'd run across a Buffalo nickel.
My Dad ran a grocery store in the 60s. I remember one time he went to ready the cash drawrs for the next day and he broke open a roll of quarters that were all uncirculated silver quarters. Brand new 1960 quarters! There was about $1,000 of them face value. He bought about $100 worth because that's all we could afford. I bought $3 worth that were later stolen along with the rest of my coin collection. Some kid broke into my house and stole my collection and bought firecrackers with my precious coins. Oh well. I think I'm getting off the topic. Back to candy.

Candy I hate to this day: Candy corn and homemade fudge.
I just don't like candycorn but fudge I ate way too much of one time along with way too much Hawaiian Punch and you know the rest of the story.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:16 AM

anybody remember that candy bar called "marathon". I used to like that as a kid, but it aint around anymore. Now I like Snickers and Reese's peanut butter cups.