S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Unsophisticated question

Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsophisticated question

I've searched the help files (as S2Ki suggests), but I can't find an answer. Maybe someone here knows it:

We've had a couple of threads that are listed as having been "moved." Clicking on them doesn't take me to where they've been moved to; rather, I get a Board Message telling me:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this topic
I'm a member, so this isn't a 'members only' restriction. [Is there a Gold Members only section?]

Does this mean that something in the thread was sufficiently offensive that the moderators sequestered it? Or that the originator requested (and got) sequestration? [You'd think they'd just delete such things instead.]

Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks in advance. HPH
Old 09-10-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm a Gold member, and I can't follow those links either. I have no idea why this doesn't work.

JonasM
Old 09-10-2005, 06:05 AM

Well, at least I'm in good company in my mystification! HPH
Old 09-10-2005, 06:18 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Some of those threads may have been placed in the dumpster or into forums restricted to Community Organizers or Moderators. When that happens us mere mortals no longer have access to them.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 3,024 Likes on 1,677 Posts

You mean the Halliburton thread, by Defender? I looked for it too and got the same result.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:36 AM

There are several, including that one and another entitled "Kids" (way lower down), as well as some on other forums. The two most recent ones I think I may understand (killed for obnoxiousness), but not having read the "Kids" one, I can't fathom it.

Maybe it's just that the moderators' "move" function is broken somehow.

Ain't speculation fun? HPH
Old 09-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Former Moderator

When a thread is moved to the dumpster it gives the mod the option of showing "moved" or not, "moved" is the default, and its often missed,

the dumpster is just like any other forum, so it looks like you can follow it, but you just run out of permissions.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, guys, sorry. When a thread gets moved to the dumpster, you can't read it any longer. Debs and I have moved a few threads there recently.

My apologies for not clicking the right box so that it doesn't show.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Sep 10 2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, guys, sorry. When a thread gets moved to the dumpster, you can't read it any longer. Debs and I have moved a few threads there recently.

My apologies for not clicking the right box so that it doesn't show.
Chaz,

Just out of curiosity, which threads were moved, and why?
Old 09-10-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,580 Posts

I moved two threads of Defender's that he had deleted the content from. We always move threads to the Dumpster rather than deleting them - they are not supposed to be physically deleted. That's where these two went. Sometimes they are "deleted" (in effect moved) at the request of the original poster. That's what happened to the Kids thread. The Dumpster is not accessible by the members. It's an Admin/CO area.

P.S. I prefer to show that I've moved something, regardless of where it gets moved to. That way peeps don't wonder why a thread just disappeared.

Quick Reply: Unsophisticated question