S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Very few of us are better off

Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

People just don't live within their means in this country. They are leasing cars that they can't afford to buy. The banks are allowing them to take larger mortgages than they should. Everybody thinks high dollar cable and smart phone contracts are a necessity. Got to have that gym contract too. Kids can't entertain themselves in the great outdoors anymore. Mom and Dad have to fund their entertainment with smart phones, video games, cable TV, and on and on.

My wife and I are very well prepared for our retirement years. We cut the cable years ago. We pay cash for lightly used cars, (usually lease returns where some sucker took the depreciation hit for us.) Oh, and we usually keep those same cars for 10+ years. We don't have cell phones, (and seem to manage very nicely without them.) I don't feel like we've deprived ourselves of much either. We have a very nice house, (our only debt...that will be paid off when I retire at 55), on almost 3 acres, with an in ground pool, garage space for 4 cars, an S2000, etc. What we do is keep a budget spreadsheet. If it isn't a necessity, we don't buy it until all the other budget columns are taken care of. We both maxed out our 401Ks from the first day we started working. Easy to put away 20% or more for life when you budget your life around the remaining 80%.

I realize some people have unfortunate circumstances that destroy their financial well being, but I think most people live in the moment and don't plan for their future.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
People just don't live within their means in this country. They are leasing cars that they can't afford to buy. The banks are allowing them to take larger mortgages than they should. Everybody thinks high dollar cable and smart phone contracts are a necessity. Got to have that gym contract too. Kids can't entertain themselves in the great outdoors anymore. Mom and Dad have to fund their entertainment with smart phones, video games, cable TV, and on and on.

My wife and I are very well prepared for our retirement years. We cut the cable years ago. We pay cash for lightly used cars, (usually lease returns where some sucker took the depreciation hit for us.) Oh, and we usually keep those same cars for 10+ years. We don't have cell phones, (and seem to manage very nicely without them.) I don't feel like we've deprived ourselves of much either. We have a very nice house, (our only debt...that will be paid off when I retire at 55), on almost 3 acres, with an in ground pool, garage space for 4 cars, an S2000, etc. What we do is keep a budget spreadsheet. If it isn't a necessity, we don't buy it until all the other budget columns are taken care of. We both maxed out our 401Ks from the first day we started working. Easy to put away 20% or more for life when you budget your life around the remaining 80%.

I realize some people have unfortunate circumstances that destroy their financial well being, but I think most people live in the moment and don't plan for their future.
Are we somehow related?

gary
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

^I believe that most of us vintage are in the same boat. We buy what we can afford and don't get into debt, but many today have to get the newest, greatest, and most popular products.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 5,056 Likes on 3,051 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Are we better off today? Probably not, but many of us are probably not too much worse off either. It's our kids who will probably be much worse off if nothing is done.
Personally, we have zero debt but we had zero debt a decade ago. A decade ago we had greater net worth both in the house and the market, so I can't say we are better off. Are we worse off? No, not in terms of our standard of living but we are in terms of net worth and that was the point of the study. As for our kids . . . you hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1403803830' post='23219378
Are we better off today? Probably not, but many of us are probably not too much worse off either. It's our kids who will probably be much worse off if nothing is done.
Personally, we have zero debt but we had zero debt a decade ago. A decade ago we had greater net worth both in the house and the market, so I can't say we are better off. Are we worse off? No, not in terms of our standard of living but we are in terms of net worth and that was the point of the study. As for our kids . . . you hit the nail on the head.
According to my kids their future will be fine. They contend that my generation and its persuasion just needs to get out of the way.

gary
Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
According to my kids their future will be fine. They contend that my generation and its persuasion just needs to get out of the way.

gary
Pete Townshend wrote something about that topic back in '64 or so, I think. Delivered in Daltrey's inimitable style.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1403815742' post='23219688
[quote name='ralper' timestamp='1403803830' post='23219378']

gary
[/quote]

Perhaps, but only if some real job creation takes place.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

That's only half the story. The other half is the ability to earn a living. As we've lost a big chunk of our manufacturing base and as we've watched as jobs have gone overseas, it's become more and more difficult for people to earn a living. Couple that to the job loss caused by the rapidly changing technology and the demise of unions, for many people it has been quite a struggle. For the 40 year old mid-level manager who now works part time at Home Depot for a little above minimum wage, it's quite a struggle. For the assembly line worker who was laid off when the plant closed, things are very tough.

People need to live within their means, no question about it, but people need to have means to live within.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1403803830' post='23219378
Dave, I think that living in Michigan might be part of the problem for you re: real estate. As we've compared notes a few times, I think that our circumstances are similar....but our home value has almost recovered to its pre-2008 value. Of course, that doesn't account for the last 7 years of inflation....thankfully moderate.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's another family that he followed your plan in most ways. We have only "basic cable", ancient flip cell phones w/o data or text, modest cars, zero credit card debt, paid off our mortgage in the LAST century; but do have a nice house and even a summer cottage. Our retirement savings are probably sufficient if we live to 125.

OTOH, I do agree that most kids of those in their 30s and 40s will have a harder time becoming financially sound; luckily, we are able to help them out ours when necessary. Generally, our two adult children have pretty modest material needs and will be ok.

Quick Reply: Very few of us are better off