S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage men- I have met my prostate,

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ Good news!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 AM

The other day we got very bad news about my family member who had the rare form of prostate cancer. He was suffering pain recently in his back, and found that, nine months after his previous round of treatment ended, his cancer has spread to his pelvic bones. He will undergo a second round of treatment to buy him some time, but the prognosis is not good. The +1 has been thinking about making a job change. I told him about the family member and said life is too short to be unhappy in any way, so go for the change! If you have been contemplating making a change in your life, I say do it!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

^^Sorry to hear about your family member. Life is too short!

Follow up PSAs are part of the treatment, and unfortunately, my PSA is climbing again. Will see the surgeon in a week, but I suspect I will be facing several weeks of radiation treatments before the year is over. Will post again after the consultation.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:54 PM

Good luck! My family member just spent yesterday in consultation at the cancer center where he was evaluated before. His case has been a test for doctors because of the unusual nature of his cancer - a combination of the more common slow growing variety with an aggressive form. So he's been a guinea pig of sorts.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
^^Sorry to hear about your family member. Life is too short!

Follow up PSAs are part of the treatment, and unfortunately, my PSA is climbing again. Will see the surgeon in a week, but I suspect I will be facing several weeks of radiation treatments before the year is over. Will post again after the consultation.
Hey Dean, get this stuff taken care of. Tax season is coming and we need everyone on board!

Good luck at the surgeon. If he doesn't take good care of you I'll call the IRS. (That should do it).
Old 09-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morris and MsP...thank you both very much for taking the time to share your experience. First hand information is always useful. I'm actually 15 months removed from having the traditional prostate surgery to remove my prostate, i.e., radical prostatectomy. It was done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD and I had an awesome surgeon named Dr. Burnett. Cannot give enough high praise for Johns Hopkins and their staff. Everyone I came in contact with from check-in to discharge were great. I had been monitoring my prostate cancer for 8 years at JH with annual biopsies before the last biopsy revealed that it was time for treatment. The biopsies at JH were uncomfortable, but not painful. Before I went to JH I had a biopsy at another hospital that was very painful. Still have the 2 typical side-effects of ED and incontinence, but I have adjusted to them. Hope this helps someone and I can share more of my experience if someone has a question.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 PM

^ Glad that you have had a good experience. Seems you have the slow growing type. You can't get much better than JH. I want to stress that my family member has a rare type. He has to have a bone biopsy at the cancer center this week to determine how they are going to do chemo, or if they are at all. It is a very difficult situation.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ Glad that you have had a good experience. Seems you have the slow growing type. You can't get much better than JH. I want to stress that my family member has a rare type. He has to have a bone biopsy at the cancer center this week to determine how they are going to do chemo, or if they are at all. It is a very difficult situation.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way that your Uncle gets some good news.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Met with my surgeon yesterday. He told me the cancer that was in the margins, causing the increased PSA scores, is very low on the Gleason scoring and I should not be too worried. He said that it is not likely to spread to other areas. I am to continue having ultra-sensitive PSA tests quarterly, and return to see him in six months. I may someday need radiation therapy, but his comments on that issue resolved some of my worries about incontinence. All in all, better report than I expected.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Good news!

Quick Reply: Vintage men- I have met my prostate,