S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage men- I have met my prostate,

Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I can see going out of state if necessary for surgery (to Johns Hopkins, the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, etc) but then back home to the closest place available for followup (chemo, radiation). You don't want to be having to travel a long way. My family member is going through some pretty rough side effects after his first chemo treatment last week and in bed quite a bit. So being close to home is really the only way to go. Although he went to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa for consultation (no surgery in his case), he is at home and being treated 10 min away. He will have two more chemo treatments (each is three weeks apart), then radiation for nine weeks (every day M-F for 15 min). I really hope the results are worth it.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I can see going out of state if necessary for surgery (to Johns Hopkins, the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, etc) but then back home to the closest place available for followup (chemo, radiation). You don't want to be having to travel a long way. My family member is going through some pretty rough side effects after his first chemo treatment last week and in bed quite a bit. So being close to home is really the only way to go. Although he went to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa for consultation (no surgery in his case), he is at home and being treated 10 min away. He will have two more chemo treatments (each is three weeks apart), then radiation for nine weeks (every day M-F for 15 min). I really hope the results are worth it.

Yeah between friends and family, I know four guys very well who have been through this over the last six years. To a man they researched it and spoke with different doctors before making their decision. Three of them travelled for the surgery.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I retired from Vanderbilt Univ. Med Center in Nashville. Surgeon Joe Smith (really) is highly recommended. He is department chairman and many of his patients are doctors from outside this area. Robotic prostatectomies have very good outcomes.

Here is an article I recommend for everybody. It's short, see what you think.

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/20...e/ideas/nexus/
Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 AM

Great article! Thanks for posting. I'm with the doctors and a big, big fan of Do Not Resuscitate orders and hospice.

Question - are DNRs consistently honored? The one for my aunt was posted on the door of her room at assisted living and my mother keeps hers by her bed. I haven't had a family member where it applied. I really hope so!!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 AM

Received 714 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Great article! Thanks for posting. I'm with the doctors and a big, big fan of Do Not Resuscitate orders and hospice.

Question - are DNRs consistently honored? The one for my aunt was posted on the door of her room at assisted living and my mother keeps hers by her bed. I haven't had a family member where it applied. I really hope so!!
Totally agree. Great article.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Good luck Thurs!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 714 Likes on 437 Posts

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping for an update that everything went well.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Hi all. Checked into hospital at 9:30am on Thursday, then waited till 3 to go to surgery. It all went well, and doc believes he got all the cancer with the prostate. Friday was hurry and wait, finally discharged in time to sit in weekend traffic. I feel better today after a good nights sleep. Pretty sore but this catheter has got to be the worst part of the whole operation. It will come out Monday the 21st.I,ll write more when I can sit more comfortably at the computer. Thank you all for your good thoughts and wishes.I'll tell you now that the doctor was Mathew Cooperberg and operation was at UCSF. Google the doctor, he is cutting edge.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
. Google the doctor, he is cutting edge.
Generally a good trait for a surgeon.

Glad to hear it went well!

Quick Reply: Vintage men- I have met my prostate,