S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage opinion of MY2004?

Old 09-23-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage opinion of MY2004?

I've read more than I want to in the other forum about the MY04. Curious if the 9k vs 8k redline is that important to you guys, vs earlier hp and torque? How about the cosmetics and other improvements?

What do the guys with the experience think?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:58 AM

Hey, softer ride and less-frequent shifting?

Sounds good to us oldtimers, right?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Palmateer
Hey, softer ride and less-frequent shifting?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off, let me just say that I am a very opinionated person, however, along with that comes a rather open mind. I have no problem if people don't agree, I just have a problem when I'm not allowed to voice my opinion, and that has happened in some of the other threads. So BrotherRex, here are my very opinionated thoughts and I think this is a great thread for the vintage forum.

Exterior:
The car looks better with the additional front chin spoiler because I do not like the indentation on the sides of the lower front bumper clip. Trying to blend that new indentation to the side indentation that runs from behind the front wheel back, is just plain wrong. The shape on the side originated from big air vents just aft of the front tires on the original SSX and the secondary concept the SSM.

I
Old 09-23-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

I pretty much agree with Triple-H ecxept:
The lights look good
I like the looks of the new wheels

If I wasn't an s2k owner and was considering a sports car the 04 would still be at the top of the list. At least it's not an automatic!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I think this is a really difficult question to answer without the benefit of seeing the car and driving the car. I have usually found that photos don't do justice to a car. The good never looks as good as it does in person and the bad never looks as bad as it does in person.

That said, I don't think the exterior changes are that significant. I don't think that any of the changes would cause me to buy the car if I didn't want it or not buy it if I did. Looks wise it is still very much an S2000.

I do like the idea of 17" wheels, but I'm not sure about the actual wheel. Again, I have to see them in person.

As far as the interior is concerned, I've always been partial to single color interiors. Multicolored seats and etc. tend to be too "noisy" or "busy" for me. I am very happy with my black interior. I do know, however, that many people feel exactly the opposite, and I think that the seats in the MY04 will thrill them. I don't like the increased use of metal trim. I don't tend to like metal inside the car. Again, the car is still very much an S2000, just with new makeup on.

My disappointment in the dashboard/instrument cluster is not because of the change. I think it is still fine. My disappointment is that they didn't add any more gauges. I'm an old sportscar fan. For me you can never have enough gauges. I had hoped for oil pressure, amps/volts and perhaps a few more.

As far as the engine and drivetrain goes, I reserve opinion on that. I love the 9,000 RPM and I am not bothered by the alleged lack of torque in my MY02. Still, until someone drives the new setup and reports on it, I choose not to comment. It may very well be an improvement. The same goes for the suspension. Oftentimes, engines and suspensions are far different on the street than they are on paper. We'll have to wait and see.

All of that having been said, if I didn't own my S already, I'd be thrilled to buy a 2004. It is still very much an S2000.

I do agree that Vintage is the perfect place to discuss this. We can have a civil discussion and we can all agree to disagree.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:46 PM

What's going to be interesting, to me anyway, is how opinions may change after members get to see, touch, and drive the '04.
Opinions may change in both directions or not at all. Seems an interesting experiment in human behavior...
Old 09-23-2003, 03:47 PM

Triple H, once again you have out done yourself, and taken the keys right out from beneath my fingers.

Well said! One of the car mags should pick you up.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by BrotherRex
What's going to be interesting, to me anyway, is how opinions may change after members get to see, touch, and drive the '04.
Opinions may change in both directions or not at all. Seems an interesting experiment in human behavior...
I agree. I think that after the dust settles it'll still be an S.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:41 PM

The MY04 does not SEEM to fundamentally alter the S concept, only make those changes manufacturers make over the course of a model's life. Hands on will tell more. However, I do know this; my '02 is just fine the way it is, and I certainly won't be tempted to trade. I don't think it revs too high, rides too hard, goes too slow, or anything else.

Quick Reply: Vintage opinion of MY2004?