S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage opinion of MY2004?

Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything that Doug (Triple-H) has listed and will add a few more:

Exterior
I hate the new OEM wing.

Interior
The silver trim really looks tacked on imo.
I don't like the new midrange/tweeter pods.
I also agree with ralper...we need more information not just the same presented differently.

Mechanical.
Again Doug nailed this one for me...Much of the initial pull for me into the S2000 was the 9K rpm redline. Many argue that it is only 700 or 800 rpm, but that's not the point. Imo, a mechanical improvement would have been 10K rpm .
I think the stronger diff is a big plus for the '04 owners.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen, I like the current model more. I really want to see the '04 "live". I agree with Triple H. That silver radio door is just bizarre! I bought the '03 and I'm thrilled with it! There's nothing I would change. I have a feeling that nobody's going to be disappointed with the '04 either.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:02 PM

The MY 00 - 03 car is Dior and Chanel: elegant and simple lines.
Yes, her (his) mouth is too wide and her (his) rear not perfect, but she (he) is a natural beauty.

The MY 04 looks like it's trying way too hard.

Having said that, we'll see what the reality brings. Pictures don't always do justice to 3D forms.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm with Rob, I'll have to see it and drive it for myself. I haven't been watching the threads about this lately. The last time I checked, the pics were really kinda fuzzy and I had a hard time picking up on the body differences. As to the mechanical "improvements" I think they were all changes Honda made in the name of reliability and safety. The same power at lower rpm makes it less likely that things will break.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:17 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

It is too bad that Honda isn't making the old engine available in the US. It's not like they are going to stop making it as it is going to be in the European/Japan versions.
If it was an option for us in the US I bet the old engine would outsell the new. Honda has optional engines in some of thier other cars, why not in the S2k??
Old 09-24-2003, 04:09 AM

Received 4,961 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I'll withhold final judgement until I see and drive it. But, based on what I've seen and read, I'm very disappointed for the following reasons:

- Honda's failure to follow 50+ years of tradition by not naming it S2200.

- Honda's dropping the redline from 9k to 8k, for whatever reason, is a bad move. Honda's MO is Motors. The original motor was what set this car apart from the pack. It's why I bought this car. My car has more than enough torque for 99% of my needs; if I demanded more I would have bought a Vette and got some real torque. It's the wonderful F1 scream to 9k that brings a smile every single time I do it.

- Styling changes. Not one single change appeals to me.

- Mechanical improvements. Strengthening the trans and drivetrain are the only so called improvement I can't fault.

- Softening the suspension and marketing PR about 'real' sports car don't belong on the same page in my book.

Quess you can tell it would take one heck of an impressive test drive to turn me around.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:50 AM

I believe that Honda is trying to align the MY04 with what the competition offers; softer suspension, more torque at lower revs, and flashy appointments (TT foolishness) Honda is on a plateau by themselves with the current S, now they want to be all things to all people. It's difficult to find that middle ground. We are sports car people, even though we have passed the half century mark, softer suspension is not what were looking for. We like the firmer ride, being confident in taking a sharp turn at a higher rate of speed with control. The pure excitement of bringing the engine up to the red line makes me feel like I'm in my 20's.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MOTU
Triple H, once again you have out done yourself, and taken the keys right out from beneath my fingers. Well said!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:04 AM

I've often dreamed about a dream job writing for R&T, also. It's interesting to see what the "staff drives". They do that every year or so. Most of the people that work there seem to drive pretty old, utilitarian cars. I think Patrick Hong, the road test editor, may not even own a car.

"Your assignment is to drive the new Porsche Turbo up the coast to Monterey. You are to stay only in quaint B&B's, you are to drive the bejeezes out of the Porsche on Mazda Raceway and drive back in a week or so but only on winding roads with breath taking scenery"

Gee, do I have to? I'd so much rather spend my days in my tan cubicle, glued to my computer, worrying when the *&^^%$ recovery is going to start . . . .
Old 09-24-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
I'll withhold final judgement until I see and drive it.

Quick Reply: Vintage opinion of MY2004?