S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vintage Photos of What Life Was Like Back in the 50s.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM
tof

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 772 Posts

Sofia Loren - Jayne Mansfield

Old 12-03-2018, 03:38 PM
tof

Ms. Mansfield's last appearance was at t the Gus Stevens Supper Club in Biloxi, MS. Mansfield along with her driver, her attorney and companion Sam Brody, and three of her children were on their way to New Orleans for a daytime TV guest appearance. The car rear ended a semi that had slowed behind a truck and was shrouded by the mosquito spray the truck was dispensing She, her driver, and Brody were killed instantly, but the three kids, asleep in the rear seat, suffered only minor injuries.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 965 Posts

Can you say: "Meow?"

Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Ms. Mansfield's last appearance was at t the Gus Stevens Supper Club in Biloxi, MS. Mansfield along with her driver, her attorney and companion Sam Brody, and three of her children were on their way to New Orleans for a daytime TV guest appearance. The car rear ended a semi that had slowed behind a truck and was shrouded by the mosquito spray the truck was dispensing She, her driver, and Brody were killed instantly, but the three kids, asleep in the rear seat, suffered only minor injuries.
Maybe things were just worse in Mississippi! I was born in the 50s. Basic vaccines took care of most of the horrible diseases. Then humans helped spread some new ones in the 1990s and 2000s.

You mention the numbers on housing. Everything I find says it was cheaper back in the day by any metric or adjustment you want to use.

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/housing-trends
Old 12-03-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Can you say: "Meow?"

In a 2014 interview Sophia Loren had this to say about the photo you are referencing:

Paramount had organized a party for me. All of cinema was there, it was incredible. And then comes in Jayne Mansfield, the last one to come. For me, that was when it got amazing. . . . She came right for my table. She knew everyone was watching. She sat down. And now, she was barely . . . Listen. Look at the picture. Where are my eyes? I’m staring at her nipples because I am afraid they are about to come onto my plate. In my face you can see the fear. I’m so frightened that everything in her dress is going to blow—BOOM!—and spill all over the table.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
tof

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Maybe things were just worse in Mississippi! I was born in the 50s. Basic vaccines took care of most of the horrible diseases. Then humans helped spread some new ones in the 1990s and 2000s.

You mention the numbers on housing. Everything I find says it was cheaper back in the day by any metric or adjustment you want to use.

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/housing-trends

I grew up in rural western New York State. I've lived in Mississippi off and on for a total of about 35 years. We were definitely on the poor end of middle class, partly because of the local economy and partly because my parents married very young, eliminating any opportunity either had for a college education. But life was great, as far as I could tell. That said, I do remember my mom telling me NOT to play in that puddle because I could get polio. It was a couple years later, in the mid '50s when I received a polio inoculation, which had just become widely available. Measles vaccines were not a thing until the 60s. As a kid I did go through mumps and chicken pox but avoided measles, which could be quite serious. Mumps (especially on Thanksgiving) and chicken pox were bad enough.

Regarding the article you linked to, here was my take away: 1. Houses are a lot more expensive now, even adjusted for inflation. 2. Houses are also a lot bigger now which accounts for the higher prices. 3. People buy the bigger houses because they can, not because they should. So if the cost of housing creates a greater burden on folks, it's probably because they are buying more house than they should. Everybody has to have three or four bedrooms, two or more baths, hardwood floors, granite counter tops, stainless appliances, etc. etc. That's not a starter home. It never was a starter home.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
In a 2014 interview Sophia Loren had this to say about the photo you are referencing:
Like I said, "Meow." And not in a good sense.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

I wasn't allowed to play in puddles either but I never heard of polio as a reason; heck, my mom was just a clean freak. I admit pictures of people in iron lungs was scary but I never heard of a single person that my parents ever came in contact with that actually had it.

As far as shelters go, I never heard of anyone who ever had one of those either. If we ever had to duck under the school desk, it didn't leave any lasting impression. I don't recall ever doing that but I know many do.

Bill & Mike, I think that link proves both of your points. Like for like, the past was clearly without a doubt the better value for 1,000 sf. I think if you did a size by size comparison, say 2,500 sf from 50s vs. now, you find out only the very wealthy lived like that in the 50s and they likely had interiors far superior to those of today.

Last edited by dlq04; 12-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 924 Likes on 544 Posts

During my childhood, I knew two children who had polio. One boy was in leg braces the rest of his life.

Polio was a big scare, especially at swimming pools, as I recall.

I can remember our whole family standing in line at our elementary school to get our oral (sugar cube) polio vaccines.

I still have the cards to prove that I was immunized for polio.

Type I on Sept 23, 1962
Type II on Nov 4, 1962
Type III on Mar 10, 1963

This was in San Francisco. I was born in 1946, so I was 16 years old when I got those vaccinations.

Our elementary school had no cafeteria. The space that was originally going to be used for a cafeteria was used for an air raid shelter.

Quick Reply: Vintage Photos of What Life Was Like Back in the 50s.