S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Vintage Weather Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 3,003 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Crazy thunder, lots of lightning, rain and hail. There was a lot of horizontal lightning which I don't think I've seen before. I thought the storm was over and then it started again. I looked at a radar map and it showed the storm over my home area and the ridges to the west but missing most of Loveland. Maybe there will still be fireworks tonight. Maybe I had enough of Mother Nature's show to skip them.

Last edited by Kyras; 07-04-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 4,970 Likes on 3,011 Posts

Mid-90s and high humidity day after day is getting old........... at least during the daytime. Its been rough but I've been working on the yard, MG, etc. every day. We did cancel our plans for this afternoon 4th event; just too hot. Tonight nothing going on but fireworks, which we don't really care about. Glad we had a good time with another couple last night at a patio bar on a lake. We didn't have any family plans for this year's 4th, so it goes into the books as less-than-exciting but we still enjoyed drinks on our own patio and listening to old doo wop while hearing fireworks all around us.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 3,531 Likes on 2,387 Posts

my A/C doesn't like this.
Flat out and not keeping up.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

A little cooler here but higher humidity 84 feels like 92. I am comfortable in the AC. I went home at lunch and the house is comfortable as well. I fear the YMCA won't be too comfortable, so I've been a real slacker in the exercise department. I know this is a bad thing to skip classes, and even though I don't want to be outside too much I also don't want to be cooped up after being at my desk all day. I'm hoping to get beyond this lack of motivation when the heat breaks for a couple of days. It's just an excuse, I know, as it's not like I'm working in the heat. Maybe I just need a change in routine.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 1,415 Likes on 768 Posts

Our electricity is supplied by a Co-Op, and to keep costs down, they have a voluntary program called "Beat the Peak." Whenever they determine that electric use will result in their paying more for electricity, they issue a "Beat the Peak" warning through a little device plugged in to an outlet in your house that has green, amber, and red lights. Whenever the usage projection is high, the red light comes on, and you are requested to voluntarily restrict usage of electric ovens, clothes dryers, or air conditioners. In addition, also voluntarily, they have installed a device on our central air that limits the run time during these "Beat the Peak" times. I have found that it only increases the temp by a couple degrees, and it is satisfying to know you are not only saving yourself money, but the Utility also pays less due to high demand.

Wonder how widespread this is?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 3,003 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Our electricity is supplied by a Co-Op, and to keep costs down, they have a voluntary program called "Beat the Peak." Whenever they determine that electric use will result in their paying more for electricity, they issue a "Beat the Peak" warning through a little device plugged in to an outlet in your house that has green, amber, and red lights. Whenever the usage projection is high, the red light comes on, and you are requested to voluntarily restrict usage of electric ovens, clothes dryers, or air conditioners. In addition, also voluntarily, they have installed a device on our central air that limits the run time during these "Beat the Peak" times. I have found that it only increases the temp by a couple degrees, and it is satisfying to know you are not only saving yourself money, but the Utility also pays less due to high demand.

Wonder how widespread this is?
My electricity is also from a co-op. I haven't heard of that here.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 3,531 Likes on 2,387 Posts

Gene,
The tesla power wall certainly allows for taking advantage of fractional rates, buying and storing when cheap and using stored for peak demand.
The efficiency isn't quite there yet or the spread has to get wider for it to be truly effective.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 1,430 Likes on 959 Posts

Weather here in So Cal is well over 100F, this weekend. Like 118F today in Pasadena area. I'd be prepared for yucky-mucky weather in the Midwest and back East, later this week.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,574 Posts

^ Nothing new...about the 2/3 of the country is in the heat. Yesterday was the first under 90 in awhile. We also could use some rain, as I'm sure the firefighters out west could.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 1,415 Likes on 768 Posts

Yep, I can attest to the heat in SoCal, Getting ready to drive through a bunch more of it on my way to Springdale, Utah, and Zion NP. Sure glad I had my AC recharged before the trip out here. Top up!

Quick Reply: The Vintage Weather Thread