S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vision improving with age

Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default Vision improving with age

Three or four years ago, I went to the eye doc thinking my sunglass prescription for distance needed changing because I could not see out of them as well. I had always been nearsighted and worn glasses from the age of 14 (mainly to drive). I assumed there would be a change to make the glasses stronger. Nope...my distance vision had actually improved! Reading had never been a problem. So I decided to ditch prescription glasses altogether and have not worn them since.

I got a new eye doc and saw her yesterday for a general checkup. My distance vision is still good enough to drive without glasses, which is great. My reading has gotten worse, but not enough to get prescription glasses, at least not yet. I have a pair of the cheapy ones from the drugstore which work OK if I need them. My right eye is stronger for distance, but weaker for reading. The interesting thing the doc told me is that a type of cataract causes the improvement. Something called Second Sight. It is supposed to be temporary but so far mine has lasted quite awhile. She said I do not have any problem with cataracts. Glaucoma number needs to be watched, though (mine is 20, which is borderline), so I'm going back in a couple of months for another eye pressure check on that.

Any of you had this improvement in eyesight?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:13 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

nope, used to have better than perfect vision.
now anything under 4-5 feet needs glasses for detail.
long range focal length is still sort of right, i just don't seem to have the same pixel resolution anymore.
and my vision is slower.

and bringing this back to a automotive-centric discussion.
When the S2000 is really stiff because of the cold, my eyes seem to bounce around a lot more.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common for nearsightedness to improve with age. I figure by the time I am 150 my eyes should be perfect!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I have not had an eye exam in a while. I need to schedule one.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

My vision has been changing for the better for several years. I use the cheapy readers as well and have them all over the house. I was always very nearsighted, but hardly need glasses at all anymore.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:09 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Wore glasses from the third grade until I went for a driver's license exam after moving to Mobile, AL in my early 30s. The examiner asked me to repeat a vision test without my glasses and I did better than with them on. So no vision correction lenses endorsement on my license ever since. But my near vision is, like most folks, getting worse with age. I got along for years with 1.25 reading glasses but recently "upgraded" to 1.50. I tried prescription reading glasses once and found them to be no better than "cheap drugstore" otc glasses. Of course everyone's eyes are different and correcting for myopia is definitely best left to a good ophthalmologist.

Anyone had laser surgery for vision correction?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
recently "upgraded" to 1.50. I tried prescription reading glasses once and found them to be no better than "cheap drugstore"
Sounds like me! I've got a $300 pair of prescription glasses at work, and a $3 pair of 1.50 readers at home. Not much difference.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

My left eye was out of its socket after an accident once, and it has never really recovered very well. Luckily my right eye is the stronger one anyway, and the combination still works well. I'm near sighted, and my prescription changes ever so slightly every few years, but not drastically.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:24 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Jim! I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing about the time your eyeball fell out. I heard a similar story (which involved a motorcycle) and I've been trying to get THAT image out of my head for the last month.

Thanks a lot.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Ha ha, so sorry about that! But I'm not gonna delete it. Hell, there was no socket left for the little guy to be in! Thank goodness for titanium and for modern sawbones tech. And thank goodness for right eyes!

Quick Reply: Vision improving with age