S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Vonage?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Mar 3 2006, 11:02 AM
I've never seen the commercials. What kind of annoying music? If it's Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Celine Dion, Britney Spears, or anyone else I can't stomach, I'm sending the damned thing back just on principle.
It's nothing like that. It's really more like (woo ew woo hoo hoo woo ew woo hoo hoo...) and it really is annoying.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Mar 3 2006, 11:35 AM
You definitely want to avoid connecting the two routers together. That's going to be a very difficult endeavor and an unnecessary complication.
When all else fails, I read the directions. According to the Vonage installation guide, their router can be routed through a wireless router: "If you would like to keep your existing router because it has wireless capability or other features, then use the following instructions..."
It doesn't look to be all that complicated to do, but I'm wondering if this arrangement will act as some sort of bottleneck for bandwidth. Oh well, I'm going to wait for Martha to get home before I install it. When it all goes horribly wrong, which it inevitably will, it has to be someone's fault, and it ain't gonna be mine.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 AM

Does your wireless router have multiple lan ports on the back. If so, you can plug the Vonage router into one of those and it should work. My set up is similar. I have 2 routers, 1 plugged into the other. It works pretty good. I did have to do some configuration, turn off the wan port on the wireless was about all. If it doesn't work with minimal configuration then it can complicated and tech support is next step.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rdrunner,Mar 3 2006, 12:09 PM
Does your wireless router have multiple lan ports on the back. If so, you can plug the Vonage router into one of those and it should work. My set up is similar. I have 2 routers, 1 plugged into the other. It works pretty good. I did have to do some configuration, turn off the wan port on the wireless was about all. If it doesn't work with minimal configuration then it can complicated and tech support is next step.
David -

Did you connect the LAN port on the 1st router to a LAN port on the other router? A connection like that usually requires a crossover (reverse) Ehternet cable unless the ports are auto-sensing. Connecting the 2 swithes is a viable alternative if you disable the router on the 2nd device. That's why I mentioned buying a wireless switch and selling the existing router.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rdrunner,Mar 3 2006, 12:09 PM
The wireless router has four unused LAN ports on the back, so I guess I'm all set as far as that goes. I'm still going to wait for Martha to get home Sat. before putting it all together since she has to set up the account online anyway.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by dean,Mar 3 2006, 11:59 AM
When all else fails, I read the directions. According to the Vonage installation guide, their router can be routed through a wireless router: "If you would like to keep your existing router because it has wireless capability or other features, then use the following instructions..."
It doesn't look to be all that complicated to do, but I'm wondering if this arrangement will act as some sort of bottleneck for bandwidth. Oh well, I'm going to wait for Martha to get home before I install it. When it all goes horribly wrong, which it inevitably will, it has to be someone's fault, and it ain't gonna be mine.
It shouldn't affect bandwidth at all. You're just extending an Ethernet segment (if you connect switch to switch) or routing two networks (router to router).
Old 03-03-2006, 07:35 AM

Did you connect the LAN port on the 1st router to a LAN port on the other router?
According to the directions that I have, the Vonage router is connected with the supplied cable from its port labeled "Internet" to the port on the wireless modem labeled "Ethernet". The directions also state not to use any of the Ethernet ports on the Vonage router when the router is configured this way. There's no mention of any special software set-up being required, although that's probably just a ruse to suck me into this mess.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dean,Mar 3 2006, 12:35 PM
According to the directions that I have, the Vonage router is connected with the supplied cable from its port labeled "Internet" to the port on the wireless modem labeled "Ethernet". The directions also state not to use any of the Ethernet ports on the Vonage router when the router is configured this way. There's no mention of any special software set-up being required, although that's probably just a ruse to suck me into this mess.
OK - so that connection is pretty much the same as the connection you have from your existing cable modem to your router, correct?

What do the instructions say about connecting the two routers?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Mar 3 2006, 12:44 PM
OK - so that connection is pretty much the same as the connection you have from your existing cable modem to your router, correct?

What do the instructions say about connecting the two routers?
The instructions don't say a thing about having to change anything on the cable modem, so I'm assuming that everything in regard to the cable modem and its connection to the wireless modem stay the same.

Just to run the supplied wire from the Vonage router port marked, "Internet" to the wireless modem port marked, "Ethernet". There's no mention of having to do anything else other than the basic software set-up.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Another question: This Vonage router only has two phone ports and I need three - one for the cordless phone base, one for the business phone, and one for the fax machine. All I need to get three lines is a splitter in one of the phone ports, right?

Quick Reply: Vonage?