S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are we there, yet?

Old 07-01-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we there, yet?

[QUOTE]State departments of transportation were asked in early 2005 to list sections of roads and highways that experience significant traffic delays as a result of seasonal traffic spikes for travel to popular tourist destinations.

In their responses, the states identified numerous bottlenecks on routes leading to major summer recreation areas. The routes include major and minor highways
Old 07-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Rte 95 around Manhattan was the worst I've ever seen it yesterday. Un-friggin'-believable.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We're currently dealing with #23.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

All of New Jersey but especially the Garden State Parkway. And 80/95 and the George Washington Bridge from New Jersey into New York on Sunday afternoons/evenings.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jul 1 2005, 10:36 PM
Rte 95 around Manhattan was the worst I've ever seen it yesterday. Un-friggin'-believable.

Charlie: That is why on Sunday when we head home after your party, we are planning to take I-84 to I-81 to Harrisburg, PA and then down US RT 15.

My office overlooks the Washington Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95) between Springfield, VA and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that crosses into Maryland. Virtually everyday the outer loop (northbound) is down to a crawl or dead stopped by about 2:30 PM.

I-95 is a nightmare!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Iam writing from York, Nebraska (about 100 mileswestof ohMAHA). We left NY yeserday at about noon and have covered 1400 miles so far X I-80.

Approx. every 150 miles or so there has been construction on that two lane road that has made traffic come to a standstill.

I have used my GPS when I could get off of an exit (making illegal u-turns when necessary) to find go-arounds for the huge traffic jams. We lost nearly three hours of travel time yesterday sitting in traffic. Today we lost about two hours.

The people out here merge into one lane differently than they do in NY. Out here everyone gets in a single file about 3/4 of a mile before the actual merge. I have no understanding why. In NY the merge and the "every other car" rule takes place at the merge itself.

The truck drivers out here seem to appointhemselves as "road monitors" and will block the right lane to prevent others from driving up to the merge point. A couple of times this stopped me from getting to an exit so I could take a go-around; and I drove on the shoulder of the road to get around the truck (which was sitting motionless in the right lane-- with no one in front of him for as far as I could see) and back into the empty right lane so I could proceed to the exit.

Anyway -- I-80 sucks both east and west bound X the USA ... we saw one point today where eastbound traffic was at a standstill for nearly 7 miles approaching a construction merge.

Happy trails !!!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Jul 1 2005, 11:16 PM

Charlie: That is why on Sunday when we head home after your party, we are planning to take I-84 to I-81 to Harrisburg, PA and then down US RT 15.

My office overlooks the Washington Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95) between Springfield, VA and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge that crosses into Maryland. Virtually everyday the outer loop (northbound) is down to a crawl or dead stopped by about 2:30 PM.

I-95 is a nightmare!
I'd have to agree with that. Of all the driving that I do here on the east coast, rte. 95 (pretty much anywhere) is the worst of 'em.

Yesterday, I was delayed two hours on 95S in nearly complete standstill. Ridiculous. I was due in NYC to meet up with other s2ki friends for a Carnegie Hall concert -- we were lucky to get there at all.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Defender,Jul 1 2005, 11:21 PM
Iam writing from York, Nebraska (about 100 mileswestof ohMAHA). We left NY yeserday at about noon and have covered 1400 miles so far X I-80.

Approx. every 150 miles or so there has been construction on that two lane road that has made traffic come to a standstill.

I have used my GPS when I could get off of an exit (making illegal u-turns when necessary) to find go-arounds for the huge traffic jams. We lost nearly three hours of travel time yesterday sitting in traffic. Today we lost about two hours.

The people out here merge into one lane differently than they do in NY. Out here everyone gets in a single file about 3/4 of a mile before the actual merge. I have no understanding why. In NY the merge and the "every other car" rule takes place at the merge itself.

The truck drivers out here seem to appointhemselves as "road monitors" and will block the right lane to prevent others from driving up to the merge point. A couple of times this stopped me from getting to an exit so I could take a go-around; and I drove on the shoulder of the road to get around the truck (which was sitting motionless in the right lane-- with no one in front of him for as far as I could see) and back into the empty right lane so I could proceed to the exit.

Anyway -- I-80 sucks both east and west bound X the USA ... we saw one point today where eastbound traffic was at a standstill for nearly 7 miles approaching a construction merge.

Happy trails !!!
Eliot, I think we're suffering from perhaps an abnormal level of construction in the country because of the aging of our interstates. Not long ago, rte 80 was pretty much an 85-90MPH trip through the central states. Sorry to hear it's gotten so difficult to pass.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I'll be dealing with #23 on July 18 -- I HATE going to the beach in the middle of tourist season
Old 07-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Defender -

If I read you correctly you are confused as to what is going on here. You are not dealing with an every other car situation on these interstate backups. The reason the truckers block the right lane is to stop people from improving their position in that lane at the expense of people who have moved to the left lane because they have been told to. These situations occur because the highway construction people mis judge the amount of traffic and do not block the right lane off far enough thus people can disregard the merge left signs and gain a lot of position which they absolutely do not deserve.

Quick Reply: Are we there, yet?