S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What did you learn new today?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 459 Likes on 271 Posts
Default What did you learn new today?

I am a believer in LIFE LONG LEARNING. I firmly believe that learning something new every day helps keep one's gray matter "in the pink" so to speak (and I am not referring to Victoria's Secret") .

That is one of the reasons that I enjoy listening to National Public Radio. I generally learn something new every day listening to NPR.

On a different note, I am currently in the process of reading Jake Tapper's book entitled "The Outpost"*. I ran across a word that I was not familiar with: "Invective". It is an adjective; of, relating to, or characterized by insult or abuse. (According to Merriam-Webber) .

So, what did you learn today?

* This non-fiction book is an untold story of American Valor. It is a tough read, but tells the story that one will not see on the liberal media about how committed our troops are to each other and defending our freedoms.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

I learned that you do not have to take a field sobriety test when asked to do so at a DUI checkpoint in my state. I found out that a significant percentage of people can't pass the tests anyway even completely sober, and taking one is rarely in your best interest.

I thought that was kind of interesting. Been watching various informational posts and videos from the ACLU, defense attorneys, and even former police officers who are now District Attorneys and prosecutors. Intriguing stuff.

PS I enjoy NPR too and it's one of my presets in both of my cars. They cover all sorts of very interesting topics that regular news radio never even considers discussing. They make you think.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I love NPR. It's my morning radio wake up, in my vehicle on the drive to and from work, and on my lunch hour when I can get away. I have little patience for commercial radio or TV these days. NPR and on occasion, I watch some PBS shows. Learning new dancing steps and moves keeps me active and the brain engaged.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 AM

Received 713 Likes on 437 Posts

I've listened to NPR for many many years. Love it and particularly enjoy Fresh Air and All Things Considered.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 AM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
I learned that you do not have to take a field sobriety test when asked to do so at a DUI checkpoint in my state. I found out that a significant percentage of people can't pass the tests anyway even completely sober, and taking one is rarely in your best interest.

I thought that was kind of interesting. Been watching various informational posts and videos from the ACLU, defense attorneys, and even former police officers who are now District Attorneys and prosecutors. Intriguing stuff.

PS I enjoy NPR too and it's one of my presets in both of my cars. They cover all sorts of very interesting topics that regular news radio never even considers discussing. They make you think.
I've often thought that it should be required that the field test should be a pre-screen.
In the event of a positive result, a true blood test would be executed or at least be available upon demand by the accused.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
So, what did you learn today?
That the baby Northern Water Snakes that live around our pond are about as afraid of me as their parents....not....!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you learn new today?-northern-water-snake-1.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I learned that my car is a Italian car Sitting on a patio with two ex female co-workers a gold chain wearing low life tries to pick up one She politely ignores him and he says he will take her for a ride in his Italian sports car pointing to the S She tells him it is a Honda and it is hers Mr cool moves on as we try to keep straight faces
Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

I learned that Captain Crunch isn't really a Navy Captain.

It's very disconcerting.

"After over 50 years of reported service, the U.S. Navy said Wednesday that Cap’n Crunch, one of the Navy’s most recognizable captains, has no record of service with the military branch."

“We take it quite seriously,” said Lt. Commander Chris Servello, spokesman for the U.S. Navy, with a laugh. “We looked into this, we looked into our rolls to see if one Captain Crunch or Cap’n Crunch ever served in the Navy. And we had no record of that, so we passed that along to NCIS to see what action needed to taken next.”

fltsfshr
Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I learned that the '07 Launga Blue S2000 I test drove in Denver, CO on June 8th died while I waited at a red-left turn arrow, due to a broken crankshaft thrust washer.

I've never heard of such a thing before.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Kyras

Look in the forced induction forum, that's been a problem with boost and rebuilds. The crank moves laterally and takes it all out.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: What did you learn new today?