S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What do you use as a Home Page?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Google search is my homepage, I then click whichever site I want to go to from my recent pages.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

Old 05-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

If you hate Google, you can use Atomic Web (fight cookies and tracking) and use Duckduckgo as the homepage search engine.

If you really want to be incognito, use a VPN. Those are pretty much necessary overseas especially in China although it is becoming increasingly difficult to avoid government control, thanks to Microsoft, Apple, and Google.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

To provide a little more detail . . . Safari is my browser and I used "My Yahoo", a customized, homepage that I set up. It had 4 columns. In the first 3 columns it showed the top 10 headlines each from NPR, USA Today, and the NY Times. In the 4th column it showed stock market activity for general stuff the DJIA plus stocks that were of interest to me. It worked great and not one single ad anywhere.

It appears Yahoo has disabled it now as My Yahoo recognizes me but I can not access anything like settings, and it does not activate any of the news links. The normal Yahoo homepage comes up just fine, but I don't care for it. As for Google, I have that as an icon on the desktop. Plus I have all the usual tabs like S2kiVintage, and at least 14 others across the top of my screen.

I think I'm out of luck in getting what I want unless this is just a temporary thing.

Last edited by dlq04; 05-25-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I do not use a "home page" as such. I use MS Edge, so new pages have an MS feed for news, if I bring up a new page. Otherwise, I keep a number of open pages , which reopen if I have to close the browser.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ Yeah, same here.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cookies and similar tracking technologies have dictated both Google and Yahoo’s iNet efforts. I’m with Cosmomiller…If privacy is important to you look for alternative search engines…I do, and use DuckDuckGo (my home page). SP , Yippe and others that don’t track your usage. From that I’m a happier person and get fewer junk emails and spurious responses as a result.

Guess that your privacy is personal matter, some care and others don't. I care.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
From that I’m a happier person and get fewer junk emails and spurious responses as a result.

Since you mentioned emails, I have 2. One has been around forever (earthlink!) and I use it for almost everything; all business. That is the one account that gets all the junk and garbage.

I have a gmail that ONLY is used for family and close friends. I never, never, EVER give that out for a business. It goes directly to my mobile worldwide. I never get spam or junk emails with that one. When my phone goes off, it is something I should know about.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
For many many year's I've used Yahoo. I did a custom page with three news links I am interested in and stock market reports I'm interested in. Yahoo at times tried to force me to use the one they wanted me to use with their links, their ads, etc. but I was always able to come back and use the one I set up, in lieu of not using them at all. As of this weekend it seems I lost my setup. I think it has to do with a change of ownership. Maybe it will come back but if not, I will need a new Home Page and I am looking for recommendations.
I use Yahoo for a homepage and have not seen a change.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Cookies and similar tracking technologies have dictated both Google and Yahoo’s iNet efforts.
Gary, I don't worry about cookies as I routinely 'delete' all of mine.

I use Yahoo for a homepage and have not seen a change.
Jim, Yahoo and My Yahoo are (or were) entirely different.

Cos, as far as emails, I use Comcast and very, very seldom get any kind of spam, etc. I have Yahoo as a backup but never use it because of the junk that it gets.

Last edited by dlq04; 05-26-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you use as a Home Page?