S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What do you want Vintage to be?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

In this case, Vintage Smart Ass.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 5,098 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Old 11-18-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 18 2005, 11:42 PM
Yes, it was you Matt. There a limits to how many people even I can insult in a given week. I have a one-Matt-a-week rule. I any event, no hard feelings. I look forward to seeing you soon.
No hard feelings.

I look forward to seeing you and Barbara the next time.

In the spirit of Vintage, Rob and I had long ago come to the conclusion that we can agree to disagree and remain friends from there. And we have as much as we disagree.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by matt_inva,Nov 19 2005, 12:12 AM
In the spirit of Vintage, Rob and I had long ago come to the conclusion that we can agree to disagree and remain friends from there. And we have as much as we disagree.
Matt,

I was thinking about that before. Its amazing how we disagree and argue, but at the end of the day we are still friends. I like that alot. Again, its respect and community. The things that make this forum special. This really isn't just a car forum.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 18 2005, 10:50 PM
I think thats because you've learned that I don't like the VSA stuff, so you try to control it, and I've learned that you do like it so I'm trying to be more tolerant. It's called respect for each other. ....
Old 11-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Nov 18 2005, 04:28 PM
I guess it's time I chimed in then.

It's very rare that I'm ever offended by anything that I read on the Internet, and I cannot recall ever being offended by anything I've read on the Vintage forum. I'm emotionally lazy and simply refuse to choose to take offense and then expend the energy required to be offended. There are already enough concrete things in the world to keep me more than sufficiently offended that I don't need to go looking for them.

I'm of the opinion that political opinions based on subjective interpretation of events are meaningless and powerless once they've been turned loose from the confines of the skull. The opinions of others have no real effect on me or my life, nor do mine have any real effect on them. And for me to get upset over differences in political opinion is about as nonsensical and productive as working myself into a lather over an online disagreement about whether strawberries taste good or not.

I view the various debates on this forum in much the same way that Dr Cloud does - they're the online equivalent of a food fight. I believe that for most of us who participate in those type of threads regularly, they're simply time-killers with no illusions of converting anyone. The debates provide some amusement and an opportunity to vent, but they also provide some practice for improving one's aim with the mashed potatoes.

As for banning or segregating political threads, I can choose to do that on my own in much the same way that I can choose not to be offended by them. But, I will of course abide by whatever MsPerky and Chaz decide to do about the matter.

That's my opinion and you're welcome to ignore it with my blessings.
Thank you for your thoughts Dean. I think I understand a bit better how we came to this point, and maybe we can do a better job navigating through these waters in the future. While I have quoted your post, my reply is really addressed to everyone.

Your view makes perfect sense of course. Why should anyone get upset by what they read on an internet forum? I think for some folks, that is just what this is, and from their perspective, I suppose they are right. But to echo Jerry's comment above, Vintage is much more than an internet forum for many of us.

I remember when Vintage was just a thread, literally. We all posted our thoughts in succession and it grew to the point that we could petition the site to create this forum for us. (You don't think all the young computer techs who created this site actually thought about a forum for old timers, do you?) From that day, with Rob and Deb as our COs, we grew this forum into one of the most popular stops on S2Ki. It wasn't easy, but it was fun. What I am most proud of is that we always welcomed new comers and encouraged them to join us. And so, many of you came to the forum long after it was started and felt right at home.

We enjoyed each other so much that Rick Hessel decided to host a Vintage party room at Fall Colors '03. Vintage members turned out in droves. We traveled thousands of miles and we all met face to face and hung out till the wee hours on both Friday and Saturday night. Real friendships were made that weekend. The community continued to grow here and then Rick organized our first Spring Fling. I won't bore you all with the many meets, drives, events and controversies that we have lived through together. Suffice it to say our brief history covers the full range of human emotion and experience; birth and death, love and hate, illness and injury, joy and grief, we have shared it all. And like any relationship, it is much easier to hurt a friend with an offhand comment than it is an internet acquaintance.

As I see it, my problem is that I look at every person who posts in Vintage as a part of the greater community. Part of the family. A member of the fellowship. Perhaps others do too. But I suspect that there are a great many who see the site for just what it appears to be. An internet location where you can go to chat. I will try to remember that from now on. And I hope that in the future more of the regulars here who have not met face to face will come to our in-person meets. The forum really takes on a whole other dimension when you convert the virtual community to a skin and bones world.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Bill,

You have said beautifully what many of us feel. Vintage is more than a chat room, it is more than a car forum, it is more than an internet site, it is a clubhouse where friends come to meet and talk and share feeling, emotions and thoughts. It is the big tent under which all ideas are welcomed, discussed, dissected and considered. It is the place where all are welcome to join and participate so long as that membership brings with it the respect that everyone here deserves.

That is why the dissention of the last few days is so troublesome. Underneath it all, this is a community and a community only works when there is mutual respect. We lost that, but now I hope we are on the path back.

Welcome back to Vintage everyone.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Nov 18 2005, 11:51 PM
.....And I hope that in the future more of the regulars here who have not met face to face will come to our in-person meets. The forum really takes on a whole other dimension when you convert the virtual community to a skin and bones world.

I have reached out....when travelling....to meet far away people. Like Barry in WY; Urs and Michael in Switzerland; Edgar in Barcelona; and (most recently) Sue in New Zealand. Maybe it will work out for me to meet Dean, Dr. Cloud and Flats during our trip to FL in January....that would be terrific!

It really expands the greatness of the community for me, and I recommend it to all of you For people with the time and means, travelling from east to west (Deb) or west to east (Patty) for events in other time zones....that's a very neat thing to do.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Bill, that was a nice piece of writing, I have to agree with everything you said. Remember, it was a litlle car that brought us all together.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Very nice thoughts expressed in this thread...I'm glad LB decided to start it. And I'm also glad I have been here from the beginning to see Vintage evolve into a great place to hang out and share ideas. It has certainly changed my life for the better!

Quick Reply: What do you want Vintage to be?