S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What good books have you read

Old 08-08-2022, 08:51 AM

Received 3,833 Likes on 3,043 Posts

Reading a Harry Bosch novel from a few years ago titled Two kinds of Truth so far so good.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:46 AM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

We are on vacation at this time, and they have a gift shop on the resort that sells Cuban made crafts and of course some Cuban propaganda books. They have books on Fidel Castro and Che Guevara which do peak my interest in the history of this country, love them or hate them they were still interesting characters. I am not sure if I will buy any but they are interesting, they even have one book called Trump vs. Cuba with a big picture of the orange guy on the cover lol.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 05:15 PM

Received 420 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
We are on vacation at this time, and they have a gift shop on the resort that sells Cuban made crafts and of course some Cuban propaganda books. They have books on Fidel Castro and Che Guevara which do peak my interest in the history of this country, love them or hate them they were still interesting characters. I am not sure if I will buy any but they are interesting, they even have one book called Trump vs. Cuba with a big picture of the orange guy on the cover lol.
Could offer a good counter perspective to the propaganda we’ve been exposed to at Cuba’s expense in our countries.

I just finished Planet of Slums by Mike Davis. It was good and eye opening. Howard Bryant’s Rickey about Rickey Henderson was also pretty solid.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:29 PM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Could offer a good counter perspective to the propaganda we’ve been exposed to at Cuba’s expense in our countries.
yeah, I find it all to be very fascinating without taking sides on any issue relating to Cuba. I love to hear and learn it all. The Cuban missile crisis, the Bay of Pigs, the Mafia's involvement, JFK, along with rich industrialists of the past (we've seen Al Capone's home in Veradero, and the home once owned by the Dupont family also in Veradero).

You have Cuba's accomplishments in medicine and education, but the human rights abuses can't be ignored or erased either. Visiting as tourists you continually ask yourself are you supporting the regime or the people, but once you are here you quickly learn the people really need and appreciate us, so that trumps all IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeroptzero:
jukngene (08-09-2022), valentine (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:35 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I've been a Dean Koontz fan ever since I read Watchers years ago and read all his new books. The Big Dark Sky was my latest and I really enjoyed it. Right now I'm reading the Tracy Crosswhite series mystery-type books by Robert Dugoni. They're fast reading and interesting to me.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:26 AM

Have any of you read THE KINGDOMS OF SAVANNAH by George Dawes Green? I'm seeing mixed reviews but it stands out that it is compared often to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil often. I've put it on my reading list but don't know if I'm quite ready to read something that appears to be as detailed/character laden as this book. Curious if any of you can give me your thoughts on it.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:55 AM

Received 3,030 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Bump up. I need a good book. Valentine, we seem to have similar taste.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:12 AM

I'm working through some books that I got free on my kindle, but none of them have been very good. I'm still thinking I want to read The Kingdoms of Savannah because I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and I've seem tons of reviews that mention how it compares. I haven't been reading a lot lately.
Kyras (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 07:46 AM

Received 3,030 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
I'm working through some books that I got free on my kindle, but none of them have been very good. I'm still thinking I want to read The Kingdoms of Savannah because I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and I've seem tons of reviews that mention how it compares. I haven't been reading a lot lately.
Me, either but it's because I haven't got something that keeps my interest. I like to read a book until I fall asleep.
valentine (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Val, I have read all the Tracy Crosswhite books and probably all the Dugoni books ever written. Dugoni once in a while goes on a flier, and writes a one off that is totally different. To all here, I HIGHLY recommend his book, The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell. I may have done so in this thread before, but I guarantee that you will really enjoy that book. Please read and report back.

Quick Reply: What good books have you read