S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What good books have you read

Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondDave2005,Jan 20 2005, 11:16 AM
If you like time travel books, and you haven't read Jack Finney's Time and Again, you should read it. It's still my favorite time travel novel, and still gives me chills when I read it, which is at least once every couple of years.
Yeah, if I remember that one correctly (read that one at least ten years ago), I can't see the Statue of Liberty without thinking of that one, or see a reference to the Dakota Apartments (where John Lenon lived) without thinking of that book, especially since I lived in New York when I read it. It was a simply, beautifully haunting story.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Yep, that's the one! It always makes me think of the Statue of Liberty's arm on display in Central Park.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

One of my all time favorites, REPLAY by Ken Grimwood

From the inside cover of the US trade paperback
A time-travel classic in the tradition of Jack Finney's Time and Again, Ken Grimwood's acclaimed novel Replay asks the provocative question: "What if you could live your life over again, knowing the mistakes you'd made before?" Forty-three-year-old Jeff Winston gets several chances to do just that. Trapped in a tepid marriage and a dead-end job, he dies in 1988 and wakes up to find himself in 1963, at the age of eighteen, staring at his dorm room walls at Emory University. It's all the same...but different: Jeff knows what the future holds. He knows who will win every World Series...every Kentucky Derby...even how to win on Wall Street. The one thing he doesn't know is: Why has he been chosen to replay his life? And how many times must he win - and lose - everything he loves?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:52 PM

"Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, about two boys in pre-Taliban Afghanistan and how their lives developed.

"Brunelleschi's Dome" by Ross King, about how he built the dome of Florence's Duomo. Not as good as his "Michelangelo & the Pope's Ceiling," about Michelangelo's sculpture and fresco, and also about Pope Julius II's control of early-1500s Italy.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jan 20 2005, 05:10 PM

A time-travel classic in the tradition of Jack Finney's Time and Again, Ken Grimwood's acclaimed novel Replay asks the provocative question: "What if you could live your life over again, knowing the mistakes you'd made before?" ?
^^Sounds like the movie, Butterfly Effect, one of my favorites.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jan 20 2005, 05:10 PM

A time-travel classic in the tradition of Jack Finney's Time and Again, Ken Grimwood's acclaimed novel Replay asks the provocative question: "What if you could live your life over again, knowing the mistakes you'd made before?" Forty-three-year-old Jeff Winston gets several chances to do just that. Trapped in a tepid marriage and a dead-end job, he dies in 1988 and wakes up to find himself in 1963, at the age of eighteen, staring at his dorm room walls at Emory University. It's all the same...but different: Jeff knows what the future holds. He knows who will win every World Series...every Kentucky Derby...even how to win on Wall Street. The one thing he doesn't know is: Why has he been chosen to replay his life? And how many times must he win - and lose - everything he loves?
Thanks, I never heard of that one before - I'll have to read it.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Well, I took your advice and read Replay, and it was indeed excellent.

Then my wife read a book, which she then pressed on me--The Time Traveler's Wife, a first novel by the author, which was a moving, remarkable book, which I just finished. It's a great love story, but not in the least schmaltzy; powerful and sometimes difficult, yes.

I think I need a light book for my next read.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:58 PM

I finally finished one of my most eagerly awaited series, Stephen King's "The Dark Tower". A total of 7 volumes, it has been a series of books I have read and re-read over and over while awaiting the next volumes. It's finally finished, and I am immensely satisfied with the outcome (although many may feel the ending is hokey, I found it to be perfectly in line with the theme of the series.) I wound up replacing my copies of the first three books (large volume trade paperbacks) as they became so worn they were falling apart. I was able to obtain the reissues of the hardcover versions with the original artwork.

I'm now just finishing up "Duel of Eagles" by Peter Townsend, a first hand account of the Battle of Britain and the events leading up to it. Townsend was a squadron leader flying Hurricanes during the BoB, and his first hand accounts provide incredible insight into how slim a margin England was able hold off Germany's air attacks. A great read that covers an important part of history.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 4 2005, 07:31 PM

Then my wife read a book, which she then pressed on me--The Time Traveler's Wife, a first novel by the author, which was a moving, remarkable book, which I just finished. It's a great love story, but not in the least schmaltzy; powerful and sometimes difficult, yes.

Glad you liked Replay. I'm reading The Time Travler's Wife right now. I read Three Plums in One, three of her books in one hardcover, and didn't really like it. Her humor isn't funny to me and I thought it was predictable. I just finished a Nora Roberts trilogy, three of her Dream novels put in one paper back. I had already read it a couple years ago, but I still liked it, again.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 4 2005, 09:31 PM

I had to buy both of those after reading about them here, and they were excellent.

Quick Reply: What good books have you read