S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What it means to be Vintage.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Leopardsocks,Jan 14 2006, 09:44 PM
And I'd rather be young in 2006 than 1956.
It is my opinion that even though advances in technology in some fields will remain exponential, other fields will have reached the diminishing return curve as we have already seen in some technologies.

With that said: I believe that our "Vintage" Generation lived in one of the most exciting times in human history. For someone like myself that was born in the post WWII years, we have seen the birth of both the jet age, and the space age. The transtion from B&W TV to color and High Definition TV. As well as Satellite Communications, and we will live to see Generation VI of the IP protocol that will bring incredible changes for the next hundred years.

I think that we have been very fortunate to live in one of the most exciting times in human history.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:58 AM

As a Vintage in training (I am a month away from my 39th birthday) I find reading this thread very interesting.

I think I can start to see some of what some of you are saying: the self confidence thing, the fact that you are more settled and what other people think of you matters less (although I love it when people are shocked when they find out my age because they thought I was not even 30! ).

I suppose you are more selective and do not bother yourself (or try not to) with what is not important to you. I can see I am starting to do this more and more.

Keep the replies going.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE=The Woman,Jan 15 2006, 05:58 AM] As a Vintage in training (I am a month away from my 39th birthday) I find reading this thread very interesting.

I think I can start to see some of what some of you are saying: the self confidence thing, the fact that you are more settled and what other people think of you matters less (although I love it when people are shocked when they find out my age because they thought I was not even 30!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jan 16 2006, 04:11 AM
Sylvie,

How have you been? I haven't seen you on here in a very long time.

I'm not surprised that you can see things through Vintage eyes. Vintage isn't an age so much as it is a state of mind. A state of mind that one arrives at but only after being around for a while. I don't think it happens all at once, but rather as a slow almost evolutionary process.

Anyway, welcome back.

I have been busy on the UK side and on the French S2000 forum. Can't do everything unfortunately. There is also this poblem called full time work

I had to concentrate on my exam in December too.
I have been lurking here but I struggle with some of your conversations as they are American specific or the language confuses me a bit, or they have been too long for me to read properly and participate. I am already bilingual French/English but I am not used to American English at times.

Thank you for remembering me.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:22 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by The Woman,Jan 16 2006, 05:50 PM
. . . but I am not used to American English at times. . .

I've been here from birth and have the some problem sometimes.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:27 AM

Is that the answer to the original question in this thread?

Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Whew!! I may be vintage, but thankfully I do not have that problem!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Forgive the serious note, but my response is colored by my Mother's death today. She passed at the age of 92 after a very full and joyous life. For decades I had been a member of the "sandwich" generation. Now I'm the top slice of bread. Before I get too old to care for myself, I have an awful lot to do.

I have to continue to be a leader. I have to develop young people to lead when I am gone. I have to work together with other leaders to make my part of the world the best place it can be. I have to bring minorities into my profession. I have to find a way to help people balance career and family. I have to make sure my children are all prosporous and self sustaining. I have to help to make sure yours are too. I have to help people resolve their differences through peaceful means. I have to work to make people respect and honor those peaceful means. I have to do my part to break the cycle of abuse, violence and poverty.

There is no one else to blame. There is no one else to lead. There is no one else to teach. Some of those who are younger can and will join us of course. But now, the whole thing is ours to make right. We have decades left make our mark. Do well by doing good!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jan 18 2006, 10:19 PM
Forgive the serious note, but my response is colored by my Mother's death today. She passed at the age of 92 after a very full and joyous life. For decades I had been a member of the "sandwich" generation. Now I'm the top slice of bread. Before I get too old to care for myself, I have an awful lot to do.

I have to continue to be a leader. I have to develop young people to lead when I am gone. I have to work together with other leaders to make my part of the world the best place it can be. I have to bring minorities into my profession. I have to find a way to help people balance career and family. I have to make sure my children are all prosporous and self sustaining. I have to help to make sure yours are too. I have to help people resolve their differences through peaceful means. I have to work to make people respect and honor those peaceful means. I have to do my part to break the cycle of abuse, violence and poverty.

There is no one else to blame. There is no one else to lead. There is no one else to teach. Some of those who are younger can and will join us of course. But now, the whole thing is ours to make right. We have decades left make our mark. Do well by doing good!
Bill and Barbara,

Please accept our condolences regarding the death of your Mother today. I am hopeful that the fond memories will warm your heart for all of your days.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Warm regards,
Matt & Barbara

Quick Reply: What it means to be Vintage.