S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Ray...
Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Ray...
X 2...
What to say...I feel for you.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 1,450 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Very sad weekend for us. Our very dear friend lost her beloved nephew.She was like his second mother. He took his own life. He was 21 and in his 3rd year in college. We watched him grow up as she lived next door to us. Honor student, never got into any trouble and his family and friends adored him. No signs of depression. He was sharing a house with 3 of his college buddies who found him. So sad. We are driving to funeral home later today then a funeral Mass tomorrow.
Sorry to hear this. Strength for the survivors in his family. So many questions, which never get answered.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:01 AM

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I think most in hindsight say there were some signs, but it doesn't change the outcome, sadly. I hope your nephew is in a happier place.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,589 Posts

This weekend will be fairly busy. Sat evening we are going to the +1's annual art class party. Potluck supper followed by a challenge to guess whose painting is whose. Sometimes he fools them, sometimes not. Have to see which painting we take. Sun morning the +1 is running a Jingle Bell race downtown. Then in the PM is lunch then the Botanic Garden holiday display with the nephew and family. This year the train display includes miniatures of real train stations. Should be cool. Plus all the usual poinsettias in the atrium with replicas of the monuments made out of plant materials. Really well done and beautiful.
The following users liked this post:
S1997 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 AM

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,648 Posts

^
Sounds nice.

We have dinner with a friend this weekend, maybe some take out as he will be spending time with his elderly mother (who we love). His Mom is living with his brother and sister in law. They are headed out with friends, so we will keep him company and visit with her for a bit.

In the afternoon, we are heading to the brew pub to meet up with the tuba player so I can pass along the photo I had printed for him. (See Odds and Ends thread) I'm looking forward to meeting him and hearing them play. There will only be a trio, but there are actually 16 or 17 in the brass band. Think a little New Orleans music with a touch of funk. They are playing at a local tiny dive bar before Christmas. If I like what I hear on Saturday, I may want to check out that event.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 3,574 Likes on 2,415 Posts

I have to finish putting the second car tent to get.
it is 8 feet tall but that is also the height of the deck where I am putting it. Need to chop a few inches off of the legs to get it to fit so I can get the tarp portiot over the frame.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 712 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Sorry to hear this. Strength for the survivors in his family. So many questions, which never get answered.
The viewing (closed coffin) was like nothing I have ever seen. We stood in line for over 3 hours. Many of his class mates from High School and College and his sisters senior class were there. His class mates were pall bearers and several of them gathered on the altar with 4 of them giving a moving eulogy. These fine young men spoke about the wonderful person Matt was and that he will always be in their hearts. They came over every night to be with his family and came to the celebration of Matt's life after the funeral. I don't tear up often but at this service there was not a dry eye in that church. His Dad suffered a long battle with ALS. They were very close and I have to believe that Matt is now reunited with his beloved father. RIP, Matt, you were the shining star of your family. Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to me.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
The viewing (closed coffin) was like nothing I have ever seen. We stood in line for over 3 hours. Many of his class mates from High School and College and his sisters senior class were there. His class mates were pall bearers and several of them gathered on the altar with 4 of them giving a moving eulogy. These fine young men spoke about the wonderful person Matt was and that he will always be in their hearts. They came over every night to be with his family and came to the celebration of Matt's life after the funeral. I don't tear up often but at this service there was not a dry eye in that church. His Dad suffered a long battle with ALS. They were very close and I have to believe that Matt is now reunited with his beloved father. RIP, Matt, you were the shining star of your family. Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to me.
It is so hard for the family and friends to deal with an ending like that. Even when you know someone who is dealing with depression and seeing a doctor, when they choice to go it is gut wrenching.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

I was asked to participate in a Final Salute burial ceremony for a Korean War Veteran at our National Military Cemetery. There wasn't a family member present, so our State Patriot Guard, Team RWB, members of various Veterans organizations (VFW, American Legion, Amvets), and the National Cemetery Honor Squad (which is where I did my honoring of the veteran) did the funeral service. 7 shooters provided the 21 gun salute, along with taps and a proper flag folding for the Commander of the Veterans American legion.

It's sad that for anyone not to have people be there for their burial, let alone a Veteran. Glad to get the opportunity to see this through.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?