S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What's a good organization to donate to?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good organization to donate to?

It is time for my company's annual "United Way Giving Campaign" (now renamed "Community Giving Campaign" because of the bad publicity our local United Way has received, and besides, now we can choose to donate to any non-profit organization besides United Way). I usually designate my donations to the Red Cross, but in light of the recent comments some of you made about the Red Cross after the Katrina disaster, I wonder if there is another organization out there that would use my donations more effectively. So is there a better non-profit out there that deserves my money more than the Red Cross? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:57 AM

Habitat for Horses
Old 10-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Oct 10 2005, 12:37 PM
It is time for my company's annual "United Way Giving Campaign" (now renamed "Community Giving Campaign" because of the bad publicity our local United Way has received, and besides, now we can choose to donate to any non-profit organization besides United Way). I usually designate my donations to the Red Cross, but in light of the recent comments some of you made about the Red Cross after the Katrina disaster, I wonder if there is another organization out there that would use my donations more effectively. So is there a better non-profit out there that deserves my money more than the Red Cross? Thanks.
My United Way donation is directed to 2 charities that I am familiar with (both local to NY). One is Calvary Hospital (terminal cancer care) run by Catholic Charities and the other is Midnight Run (food for the homeless) which a friend of mine volunteers for.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Local hospices are always a good choice, as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I like Doctors Without Borders and Salvation Army.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a big fan of donating directly to the organization(s) you care about. United Way has been the subject of criminal investigations over the years, and I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

What I do is collect donation snail mail over the course of the year, then I sift through it in December to mete out the worthy contenders for donations. The right way to do it, IMO, is to figure out how much you want to donate first, then pick the organizations you like, and split the money.

That, of course, is just my opinion. Most people just pick a few special organizations they like and give them the donations.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'm a big believer in donating directly to an organization that you know will use the money wisely and ethically. Just do your homework. I personally donate quite a bit to animal-welfare organizations, the Salvation Army and the local hospice. And I've been touting the Wheelchair Foundation recently, which provides wheelchairs around the world to those who cannot afford them. But charitable donations are a very personal decision.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 467 Likes on 276 Posts

I have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Salvation Army, for several reasons.

Back during the North East black out back in the late 60's. I remember the reports that it was the Salvation Army that was giving away coffee and donuts to commuters that where stranded in Manhattan while the Red Cross canteen wagons was selling theirs.

When I got drafted in the first draft lottery in 1970, it was the Salvation Army that had representatives at Fort Hamilton (the induction center) that handed us a little shopping bag with personal toiletry items such as tooth paste, tooth brush, etc as we boarded the bus for basic training.

While stationed at Fort Dix it was the Red Cross that loan a trainee the money to go home on Emergency Leave to try to save his marriage after being drafted and receiving a "Dear John letter" from his wife. They the money for the air line ticket from his next several pay checks.

In January of 1972 while home on weekend leave my uncle (who lived next door to me all my life at that point died) I called the Red Cross to have them arrange for bereavement leave as I was already at home. They told me that they would take care of it. When I returned to my duty station (The Pentagon) I discovered that I had been considered AWOL.

And the KICKER: During WWII one of my two Uncles that fought the battle for Iwo Jima lost his blanket during the battle. The Red Cross gave him a replacement and then had the cost deducted from his next pay check.

IMO, given the choice between the two go with the Salvation Army.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 467 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Oct 10 2005, 02:56 PM
Local hospices are always a good choice, as well.

The Massey Cancer Palitive Care Center at the Medical College of Virginia would be worthy in my mind.

http://www.vcu.edu/mcc/welcome/massey_welcome.htm

The staff must have "invisisible hallo's"
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Mental Health. The health organization no one wants to talk about but it's saved many a person.

Quick Reply: What's a good organization to donate to?