S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What's new

Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts
Default What's new

'06 model changes:

20 lbs heavier

Redesigned road wheels

Redesigned steering wheel

New color, Laguna Blue

Daytime running lights

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), a combination of computer controlled throttle and individual wheel braking to control sudden changes in vehicle behavior. VSA has a turn-off switch where the defrost button (moved) used to be

Brake Assist, which helps drivers apply full braking pressure in an accident avoidance situation via the ABS actuator. Braking pressure is maintained momentarily after the driver's initial braking action to help the driver stop promptly. It deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal.

Basic warranty is 3 year/36,000 but the powertrain was extended to 5 years/60,000 mile

Drive-by-wire electronic throttle system which uses a computer sensor to input throttle as opposed to pulling on the throttle cable

Exterior temperature gauge

New seats; they no longer have seatback pocket and headrest speaker system is gone

Speakers in the roll-hoops

Sebring and white only come with a black interior

CARB emmissions rating is now LEV-2

Passenger-side airbag cutoff

In Europe they are advertising a new three-part speedster cover. The cover fits over the folded hood and features a pair of raised domes that sweep back from the two headrests/rollover bars to provide a distinctive look reminiscent of many classic sports cars.

HP is now stated at 237 - due to the auto industry wide change in how HP is calculated**

** New Horsepower Ratings to Level the Field in Performance
The Society of Automotive Engineers has standardized a horsepower measuring system, requiring several automakers to take a critical look at their more subjective output assertions. Toyota and Honda, in particular, have had to downgrade the horsepower ratings of some of their vehicles from the 2005 to 2006 model years as a result of this new system. Even though it features the same 3.0-liter V6 engine, the Toyota Camry has seen its output rating reduced in one model year from 210 to 190 horsepower. As the Detroit News notes, though, the new SAE horsepower standards have worked in favor of some companies
Old 09-03-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,580 Posts

There's been a big discussion of the 06 in the Brochure thread on S2000 Talk. I personally don't like the headrests or the rims. But I saw that Moonrock is coming to Canada. That does tempt me to see if there is a way to have one brought in from there. Someone on that thread said I could bring one in but I'd have to have all warranty work done in Canada, which obviously won't work. Or I could have mine painted Moonrock like Skip did. I don't think the color would look good with the black/red interior, though. Anywho, I'll probably end up just keeping my baby the way she is for the foreseeable future.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about the fact that VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) will now be part of the car.

As I read through many threads (in S2000Talk and other forums) I sense that many "dyed in the wool" sportscar enthusiasts don't want it, don't feel it to be necessary, and are convinced that it moves the S2000 a little further away from being a true sportscar.

On the other hand, we have all read, too many times, about people who have lost control of their cars and often become involved in serious accidents as a result. This has happened to owners of all sorts, from new, young drivers to mature members of Vintage. Further, if it is coming with an on/off switch, which it is, how can it hurt to have in the car?

I am curious about how everyone feels about this.

I am also curious about the drive by wire (dbw). I've never driven a vehicle with dbw. Does it make any difference? Is there a difference in the feel?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, I think Honda's done what it must to keep the S2K competitive.
Even the Miata now has Stability Control as an option.
I'm looking forward to seeing the '06 models.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:55 AM

What's new is ( Gas price is so high that I find myself shortshifting to save MPG)
Yesterday some nut leaked out that gas stations were shutting down at 5pm and do you know that there were lines at every station around here until they finally ran out of gas. This is ridiculous
Old 09-03-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zcarcrazy,Sep 3 2005, 05:55 AM
What's new is ( Gas price is so high that I find myself shortshifting to save MPG)
Yesterday some nut leaked out that gas stations were shutting down at 5pm and do you know that there were lines at every station around here until they finally ran out of gas. This is ridiculous
I am sure most of us remember the chaos that happened in 73 when the oil embargo was on. I really feel that we are being gouged by the oil companies. I think they are trying to see how far the consumer is willing to be taken advantage of. Back to 73, I had a friend who flew out off the coast 45 miles and told me that there were full tankers out there just waiting till the price got right.
Just be grateful we are not putting up with the mess that the people on the gulf coast are. I find myself not complaining about the small stuff knowing how those people are suffering.Didn't mean to get on a soapbox here. It jus slipped out.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Sep 3 2005, 09:42 AM]
I am also curious about the drive by wire (dbw).
Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 5,011 Likes on 3,029 Posts

I can not speak for the new S2000 but I must admit I cringe when I read reports like this "I had a somewhat distressing moment behind the wheel of a preproduction Sonata GLS on the mildly twisty roads of the Marin headlands here. While I had my foot on the accelerator, the stability control system was inadvertently set off, triggering the antilock brakes. The car felt like it was dragging itself along the pavement. The same thing apparently happened to a couple of other reporters on the drive."

The Hyundai VP acknowledged the problem and said that the electronic stability control system would be tweaked before the cars went into production the following week to prevent such an occurrence in the future.

In case you are thinking, well what that heck, it's a Hyundai..... Hyundai is the one company that worries Toyota. In just a few years, Hyundai has emerged as the industry pace-setter, after achieving huge strides in sales and quality -- and in about half the time it took Japan's leading carmakers. It has leapt from 16th in the global sales rankings in 1998 to seventh last year, just behind DaimlerChrysler AG.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM

So the '06 will have a drive by wire throttle. That will keep me from ever owning one. My 2000 SLK had a similar setup and, when it failed, the SLK leaped from its parking spot into the middle of a parking lot. Thank goodness there were no kids around - they would have been crushed. I turned the SLK in almost immediately after that episode. Give me an old fashioned, cable actuated throttle anytime! I have to admit that I was not in a very good humor when I called MB to bring the flatbed truck over and pick up my SLK.

Anyone else have similar experience?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:36 PM

Hey Rob -

I would like to explain my thoughts as related to drive by wire and vehicle control.

Drive by wire - My 350Z had it and if it was the reason the throttle response was slow then I did not like it. I say this because a lot of people on the 350Z forums complained about this and it was explained as being the drive by wire which was suspossedly a more linear throttle response. Whatever it was I didn't like it because it seemed to me you had to almost floor the throttle to get any response.

Vehicle Control - My 350Z had vehicle control and traction control both on one button you could shut off, The problem with the shut off is the next time you start the car it comes back on. It seemed like every time I wanted to have a little fun I would forget to shut it off and then as soon as you started spinning the tires it would shut you down. I took some twisties at pretty good speeds with no problem with the thing on so atleast on the 350Z I would consider it worthless for me because if I went into a corner too fast it couldn't keep me from crashing anyway.

I would hope you would keep in mind there is a substantial difference between the 00 and 03 and the later models as related to tires ie the later models do not have the S-02 rears which are a lot of the problem particularly in standing water when fairly worn out. For this reason I would personally not like to have these gadgets.

Quick Reply: What's new