S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

White-Only Hobbies Such As Sports Cars

Old 10-18-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally posted by The Professor

You do live in one of the great concentrations of wealth and technology, which may make things look different from, say Poughkeepsie or Peapicker.
If you've ever been to Poughkeepsie, then you would know that it is home to IBM's Mainframe business and has other tech companies in the surrounding area. Including IBM's Technology site a few miles away. Matter of fact when IBM reduced some of the workforce, hotels were fully booked with technology companies from all over the world looking to hire "Poughkeepsie's" employees.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PokS2k
Old 10-18-2003, 08:05 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting topic Prof. Cornel West, author of the book Race Matters spoke at one of our firm functions some years ago. His message was we must stop pretending that whites, blacks and other minorities can have a meaningful dialogue without recognizing that there are racial differences and perceptions that must be laid out on the table. In other words, he was saying lets stop pussyfooting around say what you think about how race enters into our relationships with one another.

He targeted the white apologists who go around saying "I never see someone by the color of their skin" or " I don't notice if someone is black or white." West said this is BS and he is right. The only way relations between races can improve is if we recognize that there are differences and try to learn what they are and why they exist and build understanding.

Jazz is a great example. Here is a music form developed by blacks. I agree Prof. Every jazz fan I know is white and when I see jazz concerts aired on TV almost everyone is white except some of the musicians. Why is that?

On Sports cars: I think all nationalities are into sports cars as much as whites. I see women and people of all races at the autocross, but white men are still the majority. At least that is my impression here in Boston. We would be better off hearing from minority members than me.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Come to California and you'll find a diverse amount of Sports Car owners
Old 10-18-2003, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been mulling over a post by Fongu, where he observed few whites enjoying Chinese Opera, Sumo Wrestling, etc.. I suppose these artforms COULD become popular, but they're not known to Western audiences, and we'd need educating on them. But the arts/activities I've experienced are known, but have been de-selected by non-white Westerners (let's face it, by MOST Western audiences).

On jazz, the earlier it is, the whiter the participants; so, you'll find near 0% following/playing 1920s jazz, but maybe 20% blacks doing '50s-'60s jazz.(??)
Old 10-18-2003, 11:47 PM

One day, after we are long gone, there will be ONE race. It will be the race of TAN.
I have done my part to help it along.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:49 AM

On jazz, the earlier it is, the whiter the participants; so, you'll find near 0% following/playing 1920s jazz, but maybe 20% blacks doing '50s-'60s jazz.(??)
During 50's and 60's, the "blacks" were busy running away from truck loads of lynching KKKs, mkay ?

Where are you pulling out these numbers from anyhow? Has there been a "poll" on this, let alone a scientific analysis on such a subjective and almost unquantifiable parameter?

Are you so sure that jazz is now only enjoyed by you and your "white" friends? Tell that to my co-worker whose radio is sat on the local jazz station all day long and guess what? He's a "FOB" from India! How's that for a surprise, eh? Don't kid yourself to think going to one of your little "whites-only" jazz concert is the ONLY way to "participate" in jazz. Hell, I probably enjoy Dizzy's trumpet just as much as you do, but I've never paid a ticket to goto a concert...does that make me a "less" of a jazz fan than you are?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:17 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I think that one reason you only see "Whites" at the clubs and hobbies you and your wife participate in may have to do with the small non-white/non-hispanic population in Mesa.

According to the Census, Mesa City, is 73% White, almost 20% Hispanic, and only 2.4% Black. Given the prox. to Mexico, my guess is the large Hispanic population may include many recent immigrants (my guess only, I could be wrong since I don't have the facts).

http://www.censusscope.org/us/s4/p46000/ch...t_exposure.html
Old 10-19-2003, 06:07 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PokS2k
I think that one reason you only see "Whites" at the clubs and hobbies you and your wife participate in may have to do with the small non-white/non-hispanic population in Mesa.

According to the Census, Mesa City, is 73% White, almost 20% Hispanic, and only 2.4% Black.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:35 AM

In the book, "Black Like Me" Griffin wrote of a Southern newspaperman friend P.D. East.
"He continued stubbornly to preach justice. He said that in order to prove that Negroes have no rights to their freedoms, we were subverting the very principles that preserve the spirit of our own...we are endangering ourselves, no matter what our race and creed. In essence, he asked for ethical and virtuous social conduct. He said that before we can have justice, we must first have truth."

"In a country of free speech and press, they starved him out for expressing views not in harmony with their prejudices."
Beginnings or revival of the P.C. movement? Sounds familiar.

"Don't judge a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character."
Dr. King's dream has been hijacked. This is not what he had in mind. I think we all need to be reminded of "ethical and virtuous social conduct" so that we can get back on track. This has to apply across the board and to all races and creeds. People that apply it only to others before checking themselves are ignorant racists. The most dangerous kind. They don't even know they are predjudice and think the term applies only to the others. Sadly, this is where we are today. Many good people of all races and creeds died for this cause. Utopia? Maybe. Should we carry on the dream or quit and call it a day? You know what will happen if we call it a day? Look at history. What troubles me the most is the application. This is not what the Civil Rights movement was about. I resent the application and will fight it. "Truth, ethical and virtuous social conduct" is what it's all about.

Quick Reply: White-Only Hobbies Such As Sports Cars