S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Who's Responsible For Your Feelings?

Old 03-02-2004, 03:05 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by charlie
Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
I'm finishing up this book I'm reading and one of the themes is that others are not repsonsible for how we feel. Happy, sad, angry, hurt, etc. I've also heard this from my marriage counselor on more than one occasion. I have a hard time with this concept. IMHO, other people DO influence how you feel and can be entirely responsible for how you feel. A boss, co-worker, child, spouse. I don't get this. I guess the theory is that YOU are responsible for your feelings based on how YOU react to that other person. I dunno. Someone educate me on this concept. It's foreign to me.
Most can agree w/ these concepts. The problem is that "Whys" are always easier to discuss than "Hows".

It's easy to remain calm, centered and spiritual when lying on a beach in Maui and a stranger provokes you b/c you're more determined to not let anything or anyone ruin your paradise.

But what happens when you don't have access to Hawaii and are bombarded w/ turmoils? When a questionable glance or reproach from a stranger becomes an immediate burden. When this occurs, these "simple" concepts seem ludicrous at best.

One thing you can do to regain more of your center and self-control admist chaos is to enhance your ability to see what is before you. Take electricity, it can provide great many comforts and conveniences to man if he uses it properly but it can also electrocute that man if he's careless. People have the same power as electricity (if not more). They can offer love, support, comfort and at the same time destroy your core and self-esteem.

By recognizing a person's good qualities from their dangerous ones, you can benefit from all and better choose your interaction w/ them. You'll be able to enjoy their best yet insulate yourself from their worst.

But you must first learn to "see" them from a more global perspective.

Best
Old 03-04-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 3,074 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Grasshopper says, "Ah," thongfoto.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OhioRacer
I'm finishing up this book I'm reading and one of the themes is that others are not repsonsible for how we feel. Happy, sad, angry, hurt, etc. I've also heard this from my marriage counselor on more than one occasion.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill