S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!

Old 09-16-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!

Here in the Washington area, the weather is absolutely gorgeous -- the proverbial Calm Before the Storm. I drove in late to work today and found my regular route, Beach Drive through DC's Rock Creek Park, to be almost traffic-free. The winding route is often stop-and-go, but there are side roads where one can have a little fun -- while keeping an eye out for bike riders, runners, horseback riders and such.
As I passed one of these roads, a small black car merged behind me, which I soon found to be a late-model Miata. I paused at a four-way stop to allow him to catch up, crawled past the police sub-station at the posted 25 mph, then as the road wound away, it...was...on.

Road conditions were perfect and my S-02s only have about 6500 miles on them, so they bit and held with authority. He stayed with me through every curve, about a car's length behind. We weren't flying low, just using our cars the way they were meant to be used...no other vehicles or people to worry about. After two miles of slithering through tight turns, he went one way and I went the other. We exchanged waves and that was that.

There are sports car people, and then there's everybody else. I've never tracked this car and have yet to even autocross, but I feel a part of this special group.

Thanks for reading this far, and if you're in the Mid-Atlantic area I wish you all the best through the coming few days.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It's great that you both enjoyed the little run and parted with a wave

This story was a nice counterpoint to THIS THREAD , which I had to LOCK on the Delaware Valley forum

Btw, pray for good weather this weekend: The FC '03 crew is planning a dry run out in western MD

Future thread topic for someone here: Civility in the 21st Century??
Old 09-16-2003, 12:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I find the Miata to be equal or superior to the S2000 in many cornering situations. If you look at autocross race results, Miatas are usually within a few tenths of a second of S2000s. the cars are in different classes, but the Miatas are very competative. Given the power advantage our cars enjoy, you know the Miatas must be making it up in the cornering department.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:31 PM

A couple live down our street who are BIG TIME into Miatas. They've bought and sold something like six of 'em over the last eight years.
Right now they have a '92 Sunburst Yellow (rare color) and a white '93 w/all sorts of mods (exhaust, BBS wheels, koni shocks, red tonneau cover, you name it).
He wants a crack at my S and I want some seat time in his little go-kart. It's gotta be only 2200, 2300 pounds. I bet I can really fling it around.
I love Miatas!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by paS2K

Future thread topic for someone here: Civility in the 21st Century??

Jerry

Why don't you start it?
Old 09-16-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It doesn't matter that the other car was a Miata. One of lifes little pleasures is a couple of sportscar people "running" together. Not a race, just a run, an everyone having a good time.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:45 PM

[QUOTE] Originally posted by ralper
It doesn't matter that the other car was a Miata.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story with another nice car .I sold my o1 miata with susp pkg and some other susp upgrades for a 03 s2000.Yes i agree the
miata when setup right can hang with many car in the handling
dept. Yes they are in a different class yet in one other respect they are very much alike . Bang for the buck .That is why i drive .
a s2000 as well . The Miata is the best deal out there as a pure sports car as i think alot of us feel regarging our s2k.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:55 PM

Helios, I had a similar experience with a new Audi TT. I was headed towards a wonderful set of twisties near my home. Putting along through the neighborhood at a scorching 25-30 mph, I looked in the mirror and saw this TT coming at me at a rapid pace. I could see him grinning and hear him race the engine. Oh boy, I thought, this guy wants to play. The end of the row of houses is in sight and I feel my heart rate begin to rise. The road takes a turn to the right and climbs at a rapid rate. Downshifting into VTEC, my bird launches toward one turn after another. Braking hard, feathering back onto the gas. I and my S2K are lost in a dance, through the shear cliffs of the Rocky Mountains. After a couple of dozen turns I look in the mirror, no TT. I slow down and listen and can hear an engine racing and tires squealing, farther down the canyon. He's fighting hard to keep up,(a loosing battle). I get back to our dance and in another 4-5 miles, the point the road levels and straightens out, is where I turn around and do it again. The TT is 45 seconds behind. As we pass each other I smile and wave. He glared at me and drove into the sunset. I thought to myself, "What a shame someone can't have fun for the pure sake of having fun. Life's too short to take it sooo seriously all the time". Oh well, his loss....hehehehe literally

Ken
Old 10-10-2003, 09:00 PM

He's thinking: "...my car's German and cost more, it should be faster".

Quick Reply: THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!