S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!

Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Its only a honda, i can take him"
Old 10-11-2003, 05:01 AM

It's too bad when experiences like this turn into competitions. I just refuse to exceed my comfort level on public roads, so if they want to think they've "won," let 'em.
The few occasions when the other driver and I are in synch and just enjoying ourselves -- that's when it all comes together.
BTW, Ken...good story and good run!
Old 10-11-2003, 05:11 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by Helios
It's too bad when experiences like this turn into competitions. I just refuse to exceed my comfort level on public roads, so if they want to think they've "won," let 'em.
The few occasions when the other driver and I are in synch and just enjoying ourselves -- that's when it all comes together.
BTW, Ken...good story and good run!
Absolutely right. Running is much more fun than racing.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I had a similar driving experience to the first one described on the Blue Ridge Parkway one beautiful Sunday afternoon recently. I was loving being the only car on the road, hugging the curves and the S car was simply purring along when I came up on a restored XKE who apparently, was doing the same thing I was. We went on for miles until for some reason he pulled over and waved me on -- then he pulled out behind me. It took a few minutes for me to realize, he was giving me my turn to lead!!! After about 45 minutes to an hour of the "dance", I pulled over at a look-out point, and he followed. He was well-versed about the S2000 (knew all about the 9k, low torque, hp #s, etc.) He was very complimentary of my car and his was certainly a beauty that had been lovingly restored -- the rolled and pleated leather was to die for. We chatted about the beauty of the machines and the pleasures in the driving experience of a sports car, he went on his way and I turned back to go back home. We never even asked each other's names -- it was all about the car and the drive. Beautiful cars, beautiful dance, beautiful day.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:29 PM

I had an experience like these....but it involved a MG with my Miata.

i was off around stone mountain driving and having a good ole time. I come across a white MG and he sees me in his rear view mirror. He points to the road to the right and I give him a thumbs up saying "lets go". We turn on the road and it took a while for him to build up some speed but we got cookin' and It amazed me how he was able to stick in the turns........after we stopped.....turns out he was running R compound. We talked cars and stuff and he headed out.

next to the Gap, this was my favorite drive ever!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:58 PM

The other side of the coin:

Yesterday Adam and I were on Route 10 here in northern NJ. We pull up alongside what appeared to be a brand new Porsche Carrera. We both had our tops down. I nodded at him and he turned away with an icy forward stare refusing to acknowledge us. When the light turned green, I tucked in behind him. He flicked his cigar ashes over the top of his car, the ash and smell hitting us. There is no question in my mind that he did this purposely.

Some sportscar people are real nice, some aren't.

We slowed and let him get way far ahead. We didn't want to be bombarded by cigar ash again. All I could think of was that it was a shame that such a person owns such a nice car.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:43 PM

What a jerk! All I can think is, if I were to be so flush with funds as to own a Carrera, I would be greatful and appreciate the fine piece of machinery that it represented. I might even be somewhat embarrassed or self-conscious being seen in it, realizing that many would assume me to be an arrogant ass like the one you encountered!

Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 06:51 PM

Paul

Generally I have found that there are two kinds of people that own sportscars.

In general, the true sportscar enthusiast is enthusiastic about all sportscars and is willing to acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of all cars, including his/her own. The appeal is the engineering, the sound, the feel and thrill of driving. While he/she may prefer his own car to others, there is room in the universe for all makes. Go to an old MG show. When one of the owners sees your S he will give you a thumbs up and say,"Nice car". To them, all cars are great.

The other type of owner couldn't care less about the whole sportscar thing, all that he/she is really interested in is the status in owning a "label" and the perceived status attached to being able to spend that much money on a fun car. These typically are the people who will turn their nose up and say, "It's only a Honda". To them, that is all that matters. Remarkably, the whole output per litre, handling, race car in the group argument is lost on them. It doesn't really even pay to argue. All that matters is the label. They really don't get the whole sportscar thing, nor do they care. Generally, one of the first questions this type will ask is, "How much did you pay" or "What did it set you back?".

That is the type of person I ran into today. My consolation is that the cigar ashes must have been from an expensive cigar.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:09 PM

It's usually meaningless to observe to said owner that you considered buying his marque, but didn't consider it good enough value. You're thought of as a fool to pass up the status symbol. And let's not even go into the cigar-chomping stereotype....
Old 10-13-2003, 05:07 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Hey Prof -- another nice, thoughtful post from you -- Wow. As to the status symbol thought -- My S2k (her name is Valentine) was a gift from my husband for Valentine's Day. We'd been looking for a car for me for some time, which we had decided would have to be a convertible. My husband made appointments with several dealers for me to try out cars and one of my desires was to own a Mercedes 230slk (cute little Kompressor with fold-down hard top). So, he made the appointment for me to try out the mercedes and I gleefully anticipated the drive, thinking it would be a delightful experience. Of course, the car was beautiful, the leather was wonderful and so on, but what a disappointment!!!!! No "one with the road" feel, no "joy of driving" feel. It felt stiff and I was totally sick about it. I then went to my next appointment -- the S2k -- before I even pressed the start button I knew this was going to be it. Half a block down the street, I pulled out my cell phone and called my husband -- he was totally surprised that I wanted a Honda instead of a Mercedes. Oh, well -- now that he's driven the S2k, we both agree -- the S2k outclasses the Mercedes. I didn't even know all the statistics about how the S2k's performance ranks -- I just knew how good she felt. So, perhaps I'm foolish to pass up the Mercedes for the Honda -- but I'm a happy little fool.

Quick Reply: THIS Is Why I Bought The S2000!